Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I hook up a License Plate light?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Aug 8, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My rear harness was FUBAR'd from the PO's trailer light install so I installed a new one but I forgot to hook up the license plate light. I got pulled over tonight and got off with a warning for the light, but a ticket for expired registration /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Anyway, what do I have to hook the wire up to or splice it into to get the plate light to come one with the driving lights. Thx

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The wire for the plate light splices into the running light wire, usually it is brown. If the plate light has only one wire it is self-grounding through the base, if two wires then connect one to the running light wire and the other to ground.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

yep what he said, also if yu dont have a bumper or it was removed..

the licence plate light was usually plugged into a rubber fitting in the center of the rear of the truck, hanges down a inch or two from the rest of the wires that run between both lights

pm me if yo need a close up pic or anything /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I forgot about the factory rubber plug, most of the trucks I get are so hacked up that the plug has been gone for years...

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My burb has a smittybuilt rear bumper but it does have a light built into it. I'll look for the plug and if its no there I'll go the brown wire route. thx