Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I HOT WIRE...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Dec 11, 2005.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Or test start my m1008 CUCV i just bought ? put good batteries in and nothing lights up ,makes noise or anything . it is still 24v it is 60 f during the day , is that warm enough to start without gps ? 2 of the blue fusible links are melted a bit and i dont want to go to all the work of fixing them just to have it be something else. Give me some tricks . I plan on pulling the engine from this truck if it is good and using it in something else. yes i now have 3 m1008s :doah: . any help is appreciated . -Andy

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You really need glow plugs for anything less than 100F engine temp. It's difficult to force it to start at much less (with out GP's).

To just get it going you need to power up the injection pump (pink wire 12V). Then either jump 12V into the GP loom with a heavy gauge wire for 20 sec or a small shot of ether into the air cleaner. Yes, yes, ether is bad for a prechamber diesel but if the glow plugs are totally inop you should be ok.

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

Thanks Dan , I was fiddling around with it last night and there were 2 starter support brackets on it . One was bolted to the block and on the starter with that top bolt that holds the starter together falling out .The maint on this thing was a real class act .....:doah:i need a 12 volt starter first tho . Isnt 20 sec too long for the 9gs or whatever is in there ??

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

bump . need more help . I have it spinning fast enough , power to the IP and a quick shot to the GPs .it still wont start tho . maybe the IP is bad :mad: or there is a hole in a piston dangit this stinx . some dummy also cut the fuel hardline just above the lift pump and now it has a short pice of hose connecting them . :mad: :confused:

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Is it smokin when you crank it? This would indicate whether you were getting fuel.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

no i didnt see any ..... the tailpipes smelled kinda funny ....i think it isnt getting fuel . It looks like the IP is leaking. now I know why they DRMOed this thing........

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Air leaks can be a PITA especially if the truck has been sitting a long time. See if your delivery pump is working and fuel is getting at least to the filter. (disconnect the solenoid pink wire, open the air bleed on the filter, and crank the motor.) You can spend ALOT of time trying to find a little air leak. :doah:

Smile: our injection pumps are cheap compared to Powerstrokes & Cummins :)