Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I Install a winshield

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 18, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Should I just buy a new winshield and have them install it on my 1976 K5 for $160 or should I buy a used one for $50 and do it myself? I mean how hard is it to take the old one out and how do i put the new one in?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I never could get up the guts to take a $50 piece and HOPE nothing happens with it on the install. Metal I'm not too worried about. I've done the side topper windows, the windshields are much pickier, and any small stress in the wrong spot will destroy it. Any barely perceptible pit or chip could be catastrophe waiting to happen. :)

I paid for a brand new one, $150 or so installed at my house, with me watching over the installer, so yeah, adds cost, but his problem if it broke or leaks, not mine.

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I'm with ya' on this one. Not much finese with a hammer....:haha:

4. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Yea, I mean for $150 why not put it on someone elses shoulders. Thats what ill do. Thanks for helping me make up my mind :D

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Wow for 150 I would definitly have the glass guy install it. I work at a body shop and we have someone come in and remove/install windshields, One day I asked him how much for a windshield+install in a 73-87 chevy and he said $250.

I bought a new windshield rubber gasket (LMC $60 or $70) and had my brother install it, it was only the second one hes done but i had a spare from a scrapped truck just in case. He got it done but it took a long time

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Yea I actually worked on a building that now has an auto glass shop in it, I went in and told them I needed a winsheild in my 76 blazer, he said he would do it for $140 for everything installed. Not bad :D

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

not at all, i know a glass guy, will install a windshield for 50 bucks in any vehicle, you bring the glass

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you don't feel comfortable doing it, $140 is cheap.
    I do my own windshields, it's easy but take 2 people to make it a quick easy install.
    I used to help a buddy of mine at a body shop, we used to do all the glass.:D

9. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about replacing just the metal strip around the windshield?

I'm wondering about replacing just the metal center strip around the windshield. The sealing rubber and the windshield on my Blazer are fine, but that metal center bead is peeling and looks like s***...

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go find the black strip off a lesser truck, they never seem to wear out and are quite common. I definitely think it looks better than the cheap chrome plated plastic junk GM used. (although it did last for how many years before going bad? :))