Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I install doors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goober, May 8, 2002.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

OK ... I give up. Somebody please help me out.

My front doors on my 1978 Suburban are driving me crazy. I have replaced all 4 hinge pins and bushings but they still won't close right unless I SLAM them shut. If I don't SLAM them then they only partially latch (door rattles and looks like it's going to open) I have tried moving the striker post and the hinges around but I can't seem to get them lined up to work properly AND seal out the elements.

Can anyone give me some simple tricks/hints to align the doors so that they will close properly?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It's pretty much a trial and error kind of thing. If you body bushing are shot it can cause alignment problems. It should close tightly at some point. I installed new window seals on my '74 and I have to mess with the alignment every month or so. Sorry no tricks that I know of....just keep on trying...or take it to a body shop...

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It's pretty much a trial and error kind of thing. If your body bushings are shot it can cause alignment problems. It should close tightly at some point. I installed new window seals on my '74 and I have to mess with the alignment every month or so. Sorry no tricks that I know of....just keep on trying...or take it to a body shop...

4. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hold the doorhandle button in so the door doesn't latch and try to shut it from the outside. You can probably tell where it is binding by watching closely. A helper might be useful to watch from the inside. If the door has been damaged by being caught by the wind it may be sprung enough to make it difficult to adjust. Also, I agree about the bushings or cab supports affecting the fit. If the door shuts easily you might have a problem with the latch.