Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I install the distributor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm not asking how to actually slide it in. I want to install it ready to fire #1 spark plug. How do I set the engine to TDC? #1 exh valve closed?

Thanks.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Both valves need to be closed. spin the engine and watch for the intake valve to close then drop it in with the roter pointed toward the #1 cylinder. You may need to mess with it a little since the oil pump shaft might be off a little.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rotate the crank until the harmonic balancer groove is right at zero degrees on the timing mark. Right now, it is either exactly where you want it to be or 1 full turn of the crankshaft off.
    To determine if you are correct or off 180 degress (cam spins 1/2 speed of crank) you can use two ways:
    1. Take the driver's side valve cover off and watch the first two rockers
    or
    2. Put a finger over the #1 spark plug hole and check for compression

I prefer the valve cover off method.
    -- Mike

p.s. Some people get confused once the distributor is in about whether the rotor should be facing the #1 spark plug hole or straight ahead. It doesn't matter one bit. Which ever way it is facing, put the distributor cap on in such a way that the terminal for #1 spark plug wire is touching the rotor. Now the firing order is correct oriented.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rotate the crank until the harmonic balancer groove is right at zero degrees on the timing mark. Right now, it is either exactly where you want it to be or 1 full turn of the crankshaft off.
    To determine if you are correct or off 180 degress (cam spins 1/2 speed of crank) you can use two ways:
    1. Take the driver's side valve cover off and watch the first two rockers
    or
    2. Put a finger over the #1 spark plug hole and check for compression

I prefer the valve cover off method.
    -- Mike

p.s. Some people get confused once the distributor is in about whether the rotor should be facing the #1 spark plug hole or straight ahead. It doesn't matter one bit. Which ever way it is facing, put the distributor cap on in such a way that the terminal for #1 spark plug wire is touching the rotor. Now the firing order is correct oriented.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Not totally true on the PS of where the rotor should be pointed. Some idiots who cut the plug wires that you buy off the shelf cut them so that if the rotor is not pointed at the number one cyl then you always have one short plug wire when trying to get them in proper sequence... if you make your own plug wires then it doesn't really matter. [​IMG]

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

6. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Get a remote starter, remove #1 plug, hold your thumb over the hole to create a seal, bump engine over until you feel compression. Pfffft is what you will hear as air blows past your thumb. You are at TDC. Drop in dist and see where you are at. You might have to adjust oil pump to obtain traditional placement of #1 plug. Take a long flat screw driver and rotate pump until rotor faces where you want it.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>
    <font color=red>Because I, Am, Canadian!!!</font color=red>