Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i install this fluorescent light fixture?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Nov 24, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my dads work bench has always needed more light. to solve this, I went out to home depot and got him the standard 2 bulb 4' fluorescent light fixture and I was gonna mount/install it for him for x-mas. Well, I get the thing home and it has NO instructions other than "have a pro install this"... so I wanna make sure I dont electrocute myself or anything.

I got the thing all put together, everything is set except for the power. All the balast has comin out of it are two wires... one white... one black. If I wanted to make this light plug in via a normal household plug, is it as simple as going to the store, getting an extension cord, lopping one end off and crimping/soldering the black/white leads to the 2 wires from the plug? what about grounding etc? any advice would be appreciated, TIA.

j

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yes you could chop the end off an extension cord. Just wire the same color wires together (white-white, black-black) and look for a green screw on the housing, that is where the ground screw will go.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is it as simple as going to the store, getting an extension cord, lopping one end off and crimping/soldering the black/white leads to the 2 wires from the plug?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the end you "lop" off. You gotta 50/50 chance. Choose wisely.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you would have bought the fixture at walmart you could have got the same thing already wired up with a normal plug for the same price. Plug it in and the light turns on.

But to make that one work, how long are the wires coming out? When you buy a generic plug at home depot to put on the wires you want to connect it as follows:

Black - HOT - Connect to BRASS terminal
    White - NEUTRAL - Connect to SILVER terminal
    Green/bare - GROUND - Connect to GREEN terminal

How do you want to turn it on, with a switch or by plugging it into the wall outlet? Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok guys, i didnt think it was gonna be rocket science or anything... just wanted to get some confirmation before I start messing around. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif thanks for the help!

j

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Two wires - hook 'em up.
    Three wires - F*** 'em up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif