Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I keep my T350 trany cool in EXtreme Mud?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lane, May 2, 2003.

1. Lane

Lane Registered Member

I just burned up my 2ond trany in my '79 GMC pickup. I use the radiator trany cooler and an external one and she still seams to overheat. DO any of you hard core Mudd enthuesiest have any ideas??

Much appreciated.

-Lane, EXtreme MUDD Enthuiesiest from MN

2. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Summit sells ones that have electric fans installed. This means you can place them in an area that doesn't get a lot of mud

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Lane,
    While I dont get to see much mud down here in SoCal, I do have to deal with higher temperatures than most of the nation (125 degree summers in Borrego) and have lost trannies from the heat. Some of the research I did to counter the heat covered mud bogs as well. Down here we eliminate the radiator cooler and just run the external cooler so that the cooling system temps dont rise the tranny temps. Given your climate, this may not be an option as your using the radiator to bring your tranny up to operating temps, but you could add a bypass valve which eliminates the radiator from the system once you warm up. There was also suggestions to fix a small dedicated cooling fan to the tranny cooler and place the cooler up out of the way of debris clogging the fins, VW bugs use this on their air (oil) cooled engines and it works very well. another problem your probably encountering is your high stall torque converter, this generates a lot of heat. Adding a shift kit to your tranny with RV mods can help to be a bit more firm without banging gears, your probably already doing this. You can also get varied clutch packs for your TH350 which increase the number of clutch disks and have different heat generating properties, you'll have to do a bit of research on your own there. I chose the big torque engine, low stall RV style tranny application to combat heat and I haven't blown up another tranny since, I wouldn't launch out of the hole quite like you probably are so maybe theres a happy median.

- Mike

4. Lane

Lane Registered Member

The valve Idea and the fan sounds like some ideas I am going to look into. I dont have a trany temp gauge, do you know where they are installed and who makes them?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

B&M and Autometer sell them and are the most popular. If you search the forums, you'll find many posts about where people put the senders and for what reasons, but this is where I put mine. Here's another pic

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's also a good idea to install a temp gauge so you may be able to save the tranny before it boils over...

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have had this problem. Built 454, 4.11's gears, 2400 stall, 40" tires, and deep serious mud, and a hot tranny. I ended up running a deep aluminum pan, The external cooler only with a fan on it. It still heated up but not as bad. I ended up going to 5.13 gears and getting rid of the stall and now its OK.

If you have real tranny heat issues, bypass the stock in-radiator cooler. The water is already at 200 or so and it cant cool it any better. It will also run a good chance of actually overheating the engine. I used to heat up the engine untill I bypassed the stock cooler. Now the engine never heats up and the tranny cools better.

8. Lane

Lane Registered Member

Thanks guys for the advice. I think that I'll get a deeper pan and by-pass the main radiator and run just the external, or valve it, or get an external fan cooled setup.
    And I am definatly going to get a guage to add to my colection so I can keep a close eye on the fluid temp.
    Hopfully I can get my GMC Extreme machine back in the MUDD before I get too depressed due to the lack of Muddin'!

-Lane

9. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The water is already at 200 or so and it cant cool it any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is your rad isn't working. Yes your engine temp is 200 and it is 200 on the D.s side of the rad. but on the P.S the temp should be a lot cooler. Personally mine rad is 195 on the D.S. and 150 on the P.S. The cooler is on you P.S. so it is seeing the lower temp( or water inlet temp)
    After saying that the best thing to do is bypass it when offroading and use a fan cooled, stacked plate cooler. stay away from the tube and fin ones as they are not as efficient( and are more fragile).

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, the staked plate is much better and worth getting.

11. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If you have real tranny heat issues, bypass the stock in-radiator cooler. The water is already at 200 or so and it cant cool it any better. It will also run a good chance of actually overheating the engine. I used to heat up the engine untill I bypassed the stock cooler. Now the engine never heats up and the tranny cools better.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree it may overheat the engine, but atf gets hotter than engine coolant, so the 200 degrees does cool down the fluid a bit

12. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I got a b&m supercooler for my 700r4. Its the stacked plate style, and has an internal valve the bypasses all the plates when the fluid is cold, to allow it to get to operating temp quicker. And the radiator cooler will cool your tranny. The only time my tranny runs cooler than the engine is when its locked up in overdrive, and generating NO heat. Then the engine coolant is warming up the ATF, but any other time the ATF is going to be much hotter than the coolant (if your radiator doesn't suck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

P.S. The tranny temp guage was the best purchase I've made (well, not really, but its very worthwhile) Mounted mine in a custom panel right by the t-case shifter