Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i keep my truck from going into OD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Apr 3, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ive heard its not such a good thing for a 700 to be going into OD a lot..and around town mine does it a lot when i get up to a certain RPM..how do i keep it fomr going into OD..

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ummm, leave it in 3rd gear............. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i would assume that you are putting it in D and still feeling a fourth shift? if so its not over drive its T/C lockup. its perfectly normal, just annoying some times. you can get a kit from summit or jegs to turn it off or back to the normal way

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

not anoying at all..its just that when the 4 gear comes or what it feels like anyway, the engine rpm lowers down like its in OD or something...i thought maybe it was i dunno..ive never had a truck with a 700 befor..(at least that i could drive lol)

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Actually, if you have a lockup converter you have 5 speeds /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Shifting into OD and lockup is normal operation. If you have big, oversized tires that bogs the vehicle down or climbing a long grade or are towing a heavy load and it keeps consistantly shifting in-n-out of overdrive, you can pull the shift lever down to "3" and it wont shift into OD or lockup. If just normal driving, let it go.

6. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

any truck with a 700 R4 in it from 1986 is not going to have this pattern P R N (D) D 3 2 1, its going to have one like this P R N (D) D 2 1. if you have bigger than stock tires, or low numericaly(high physicaly) gears like 2.73, or 3.08's you should run in D most of the time any way. when you run a 700R4 at low speeds in OD then it isnt moving fast enough to move the fluid to cool it off.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have 3.08's and 31's and it only goes in overdrive when it gets to about 50 mph maybe?