Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I know how much life is left in my TH350? Planning long trip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer79, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm planning a trip to Mexico from Guatemala. I'm getting married in Mexico city in April 2003. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I want to drive my future wife out of the church in my soon to be finished 6" of lift and 36" tires Blazer. (14b ff / D60 4.1 gears + Detroit rear for the curious), and then drive to one of the many beautiful beaches of Mexico for our honeymoon, and then back to Guatemala. (Kinda three-some honeymoon: My wife, my Blazer and I /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

The tranny was rebuilt in 1996 and has been driven about 50,000 miles since then. I added a tranny cooler last year and has been taking about 350ft-lbs/300hp from my 454 since May of this year (only about 2,000 miles since then). The fluid and filter were replaced in the 1996 rebuild, then in 1997, 2001, and I'm replacing it again in December. There is no smell of burnt clutches or weird colors on the fluid. I'll check next month for debri in the pan. It shifts fine, except I think it's a little slow to engage 3rd gear.

The trip is about 1000 miles each way, plus the trip to the beach (undecided which one yet), so let's say a total of 3500 miles will be driven.

The questions: Should I drive it like that?, or should I have it rebuilt it just to be sure? On the other hand, a crappy rebuild could leave me stranded anyway. What should I do? Any advice? magic additives? or superstitious dances I should perform?

I even bought the HP books on rebuilding the TH350, but it scared me off on the first page when I saw all the weird tools I need to rebuild it myself.

Any advice is welcome.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if the fluid looks good and you ahve not been doing anything stupid with the skinny pedal, i think it would be fine. I wouldn't romp on it till you get home from your trip, though.

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Turbo 350's are relatively easy to rebuild, the only special tools required are the bushing drivers. I wouldn't worry about it if it has no obvious symptoms, but if you are paranoid, run the pressure tests described in the book you have on page 59. If the pressure tests all look ok, dont worry and enjoy the trip.