Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i make the rear of my truck flex ?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, May 25, 2002.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

it is all factory , with the xception of poly bushings in the front spring mount . i just bought some 15" travel shocks and i wanna use em all the way sheesh they are looooonnng . thanks - Andy

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this might help
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml>coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml</a>

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check this out:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/revolver/>www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/revolver/</a>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Chris (the guy with the beat up red 73 blazer) inborded his springs. He moved them under the frame (about 6" on each side). He ramped a 1195 on our 23deg ramp! He didn't have to worry about shocks seeing as he has none.

I am going to put some 63" leaves on my blazer later in the summer...should make the rear flex like mad.

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

ok but i think that would make it really unstable doing the go fast like i do and without shocks ?!?!?! i was driving mine yesterday and it was alll scary without em ...

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

He trailered his rig...and I guess didn't want to fork over the $$$ for shocks that would match the ammount of flex he has...

It seamed perfectally stable on the trail (the time he almost rolled it was the hard waw...end over end). He also had some goofy shackles that were about 1' long that he had locked out...he said that made it unstable.

I don't know about you but I would call this some flex!
    http://www.harrispools.com/DSC00015.JPG
    This is the rest
    http://www.harrispools.com/Branndon/Blazer/Los%20Coyotes/LosCoyotes.htm

Also you don't have to move the springs in as far as he did...
    Watson uses the 63" leaves in the back of his rig...I think you know how it workes for him.

I tend to like either inboarding or longer leaves and don't like goofy shackles.

My vote for your truck would be 63" leaves with 1st gen shackle flip brackets as spring hangers for the front and rear of the rear springs (you are running stock rear right now right?...as in no shackle flip?) or if you want to go cheep just using 1 ton spring hangers. It would move your springs in about 1" per side and end up giving you less lift than the regular shackle flip (maybe around 2" lift) if you used the 1st gen stuff.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

weeelllll , thats some flex .... but i like to drive my truck on the street and go fast on the flatter parts of the desert .... so ittl probly be 63" leaves in the rear and a flip of mine that i have planned , no it is NOT a goofy shackle Dan /forums/images/icons/smile.gif oh and ill have to drill me a bunch of grade 8 bolts for greasable shackles too ... and uh im tired from work right now ... maybe more later ....

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Long custom type leaves are the way. They cost but give wheel travel.
    How long do you think it'll take you to link it up? You have access to the cool tools, step up and coil the rear and be done. It'll require some homework on the geometry on your part but you're a bright boy, figure it out!

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

*begins homework , the FUN kind * muhuahaha

ok , teach what coil type setup would work the best for me ? flex and go fast ability , or a comprimise ? how much travel should i expect from a link setup ? why didnt you linkup your blazer , time constraints? thanks for the encouragment /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif !!

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ran out of time before TTC, also didn't have time to research/trial and error the link setup. Also planned on keeping the bed somewhat clear which didn't happen at all so now I might as well have coils on the shocks, they're in the way anyway.
    Do some searches on the pirate board, there's a TON of info to wade through on link suspensions there.
    You should be able to come up with a good compromise of flex and clearance, they don't work totally against each other. Decide if you want cheap (coils separate from shocks) or expensive with better go fast performance and much easier mounting (coilovers). Go to some desert races and look at the trucks, take some pics, notes, etc. Try a few rock events too.
    Research anti squat in car building or stock car racing books and try to apply the principles to a 4wd.

Sounds like it's a big project huh?

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

yeah but not that bad it should keep me occupied forever haha
    i think for now tho id better stick to trying top keep my truck driveable and i wanted to test my version of the shackle flip and make a my dual case setup so im busy for now but i might as well do the research . thanks again!

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

oh yeah, and PM 55willy.
    he has an inexpensive setup for relocating the shocks.
    grant

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

hey thanks grant but i do "offroad " towing so i dont think the springer would work very well for me ,so ima try and make a go of my own "different from everybody else's " shackle flip /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif -Andy

15. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If you want to research rear suspensions that will hold up read "The Door Slammers". I got it from my brother and it has a lot of good information on keeping your rear end located. Remember my Chevelle? I read that book so I could set up the suspension to hold up to my big block. It also has a lot of good roll cage info.