Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I move 4x8 plate around my shop?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jul 6, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just got a bunch of steel for my graduation present and it included a bunch of angle, tubing, and plate. The angle and tubing aer easy enough t o drag around but i cant move the plate for [darn]. How do I go about getting out of my big door? I need to get the burban back in for various things but cant right now b/c of the steel (and a 6.2L diesel but thats no biggy). I have 1 sheet of 3/8", 2 sheets of 1/4", 1 sheet of 3/16" and 1 sheet of 10 gauge.
    I managed to role the 3/8" off the top of the rest using some crowbars and pipe but that didnt help too much. So, how do yall move stuff this big? Thx

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What else do you have there for lifting?

If nothing more than human power use the crow bar to lift one end and stick a piece of tubing under the plate, add another in the middle and you should be able to push it easily. The tubing under the plate will act like a set of wheels.

If you have an engine hoist or something you could weld a lug to the plate and attach a chain. Or you could pony up and buy a plate clamp so you don't have to weld a lug to the plate (but plate clamps aren't cheap)

Rene

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Go buy some casters, use some of that angle and make a cart to move the plate. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

park on it?

5. afroman006

[ QUOTE ]
    park on it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Lol thats not a bad idea. I have a hoist, I guess I'll weld a little ring or hook to it, I can stand to lose a little metal of I can move the damn stuff around. Thx

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The angle and tubing aer easy enough t o drag around but i cant move the plate for [darn]. How do I go about getting out of my big door?

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...telekinesis?????

Sorry.... had to do it.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

build yourself a stand up rack on castor wheels.
    make sure the castors are rated for the amount of wieght you plan on putting on it
    this is what we use at work to move large quantities of metal , if you have a sheet metal shop near you , stop in and ask if they use them and have a look if they will let you
    a stand up rack can be used to move anything around that you can fit on it , plate , angle , tubing etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW you can just park your burb on top of the steel plate if you have to /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm going to build something like this, but open in the center for storing shorts as well as sheet/plate/flat steel. It will also probably be built out of lighter steel rather than the 2x4 stuff in the drawing, but I have lots of the 2x4 stuff I picked up cheap, so who knows. Over all it's 7' 8" long and 3'10" tall (sheets are typically 8-10 long by 4-5' wide).

Please excuse the pic, I'm new to Solidworks

[​IMG]

[Edit] Here is one that looks a little better, and it's closer to what I'm going to do...

The pics are large on the screen, but they are actually quite small so it should download pretty quick.

[​IMG]

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Here's two things we use.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't help being a smartass.

Tell you what though, I'm glad we have that little fork lift. It's a 40's something vintage and it's pulled its share of motors. Along with moving our sheet stock around.

We also do what yunit suggested.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Be careful when it's verticle, crap will cut your arm off

11. afroman006

I dig that first design baddog. Thats damn simple. I have a bunch of old rusty oilfield tube layin around so I might make something similar out of that. Today I moved the 3/8 plate by torching a hole in one edge and pickin it up with the engine hoist. Is it just me or does it look like that forklift has a boner? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it just me or does it look like that forklift has a boner? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it's a boy forklift looking at a girl truck hoist /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-- A