Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i open my hood. ***update***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Aug 24, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Took my hood off yesterday to pull my engine. Then put it back on and closed it. Now I cant get it off. It seems the cable to pop it is disconnected wtf. I cant remove the grill w/o popping the hood. I have already removed the radiator and ac condensor but all I can access is the lever to open it once it is popped. And I cant fit my hands or anything between the hood and radiator support. So is my only choice to undo the bolts holding the hood on and to lift up on the back till i can try and reach the cable. Wont this crease my hood or break my grill??? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

Re: how do i open my hood.

do you feel any tension on the hood release when you try pulling it??

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's disconnected? Sometimes mine won't open when i pull the release... and it needs the "fonzarelli bump" to jar it loose so that it will pop up. A good soaking with wd-40 usually makes that go away for a while.

If the cable is not working at all, you'll need to get something in there and manually move it. Try something long enough to reach the cable, (like a pair of long needle nose pliers) and then pull in the direction (should be drivers side) that the cable normally goes, and see if it will release. twisting works, but can be damaging if too much twisting is done... normally when I do it it's on some wrecked car, so it does not matter.

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try using the "Bump" method. Depending on the day and the truck's attitude towards me I have to try variations. Lately the best is right forearm across the center of the hood just in front of the hood ornament. Sometimes takes several tries to get it. If the hood won't release just lock it down and pull the cable release again. Seems the pin in the hood itself is worn out from years of use so the tension on the hood is not like it used to be. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

It isnt the classic chevy hood problem. There is no tension on my cable.

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

you might try a wide crowbar and wrap it with a towel adn try to pry it up. i lost tension i my cable one time and that got it to release so i could move the latch. now i have to give it the left right left combo to pop it up.

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the clip on my buddys 82, used wooden weages to open the hood a 1/2 inch and the used a socket to undo the latch to the mount.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Make an 'L' shaped tool out of your favorite sturdy piece of metal. Make it 6" by 6". What you want to do is slide it underneath the hood and push on the mechanism that releases the hood. It's near the bottom of the latch that you want to push on, where the cable is suppose to attach to.

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes mine won't open when i pull the release... and it needs the "fonzarelli bump" to jar it loose so that it will pop up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CHEVY LOVE TAP /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the clip on my buddys 82, used wooden weages to open the hood a 1/2 inch and the used a socket to undo the latch to the mount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly. There are two bolts on the front of the latch that can be un-done and it will release.

I always have to wiggle the release, or give it the, "Chevy love tap" to get mine to open too.

Soon once the body is completely trashed I think I'm going to have to pin my hood. It's not going to be long with the way my truck's panels have been going before there's no way in hell the hood is going to open and close correctly.

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes mine won't open when i pull the release... and it needs the "fonzarelli bump" to jar it loose so that it will pop up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CHEVY LOVE TAP /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my 86 needs the bump to get the hood open. And that problem isn't exclusive to chevy either. Our 78 furd needs a good whack on the hood to pop it open as well.

13. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Re: how do i open my hood. ***update problem solved***

I got it. I undid the bolts for the rear of the hood (right in front of the windshield) leaving the hinge bolts on. The hinges then pushed mt hood up like 16 - 18 inches in the back (like a giant cowl) I then got a big screwdriver and sat in my engine bay (I have no engine, tranny, and t case) and was able to push the latch over to pop the hood. That was fun.

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: how do i open my hood. ***update problem solved***

Yeah, no engine makes that job much easier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif