Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i open the rear k5 tailgate?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AFUFO, Jun 5, 2006.

1. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

First, i have an 88 GMC jimmy sierra classic, Power windows and gate and such..

I lowered my window down (except for 4 inches, but enough to clear top.. its weak and i didn't want it stuck all the way down)

And i tried pulling on the inside handle to release it.
    No luck.

Is there a lock like there is on the doors? I couldn't find one..
    Nor do i have an owners manual.

So, Is there a hidden lock? Do i need the window 100% down? Is it busted? Or do i need the rear key? I don't have a key for the rear.. =/

Thanks for putting up with my stupidity!

Edit - The handle opener also doesn't feel like its grabbing anything.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

The key is for the window, but as far as i know, K5's never came with a lock because the handle is on the inside. Probably what you have is worn out linkages that wont fully disengage with the latching mechanism, but I wouldnt know how to get to them. Maybe you could take that panel off from the inside and pull on them yourself

3. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

i have to push my tail gate in and lift the handle at the same time for mine to open. might help.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ditto for mine. I was just going to suggest that.

If that fails, then you're pulling the access panel.

5. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

if you pull the panel,

you'll find a little lever at the bottom that the window depresses when rolled all the way down. so long as yours is down far enough to clear the top, just push the buttom from the inside and have someone on the outside to hold the top lest it slam down and break your glass.

that darn window has been so much trouble i wish i bought a soft top the day i brought the blazer home and never flocked with it again.

best of luck!

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you say your window is down all the way except for 4 inches??? if so thats why your tailgate wont open....when the window goes all the way down there is a rod that will be pushed down, allowing you to pull up the handle to open the tail gate....good luck

7. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

will try opening the window a little more before pulling panels, Theres broken glass and spiders(seperate thread) behind the rear seat, I wanted to open the rear gate to clean it out.

Will try pushing the tailgate in a little first but i dont think thats what its doing, Then ill try putting the window down more..

Thanks for the suggestions. Job starts saturday morning so ill be a member by sunday.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like was already said the window must be ALL the way down for the rear gate to open.

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, i don't know if you should brave those recluses, but i say definitely try getting the window all the way down, then, if it still doesn't open, take off the access door and check out the linkage. a word to the wise - if you decide you need a key for the gate, you can get lock cylinders w/ keys from chevyduty for under $30. i spent $80 at the locksmith, only to have them break my stuff and have to buy a whole new handle for another $50 - granted it was manual, so a little different from what you've got. it took them over 3 hours to key my lock and break my handle. took me under an hour to put my lock cylinder in a new handle and install the whole thing. that sux. hindsight is always 20/20.

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Afufo I have some extra parts for a power window if you need them let me know. I am also about ready to dump my parts truck too.

11. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

my tailgate didnt open up so i brought out the sawzall maybe its just me but i love cutting stuff off

12. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Lol no sawing for this problem xD

Also, Metrodps , Please send me an email containing your email address so i can contact you =) I may need some parts off the rig.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i too have to push in while pulling on the handle, but that window has to be 100% down do disengage the lock. if you've pulled on that handle too much you can bend the rod that goes from the handle to the latch mech. dumb window installers did it to my truck just last week. i had to pull the panel and manually open it by pulling on the cables, then disassemble everything to straighten out the rod.

14. n8sjh MI

n8sjh MI Registered Member

I have trouble with mine all the time. Mine I think the linkage is messed up. I had to pull the access panel and take the two rods inside the gate and pull then together toward the center at the same time. If I just pull the latch I do not see the rods move. I just pull both rods in toward center and it pops open. I try not to deal with it though as my rear window is funky also. Wants to cock side to side all the time. I think I am going the soft top route.

15. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second, or third the window all the way down. Mine will unlatch on the left, but stuck on the right. Opened the panel and PB'ed it to no end, and it helped the problem a little. I think mine is misaligned. Sometimes I just lift the handle and shake it a lot til it opens.

16. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Put the window down past where i could see it, As far as the motor would take it, and it still felt the same way, I also noticed the right side of the handle is warped way out. I think i have to add that to the fix list.

and yes, surprisingly it went back up with 3 trys. i also tried the pushing it in and out. No luck.

guess ill get around to it once the title is ours. ill save this thread.

Thanks!

17. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

if i had seen this post a week ago, i wouldn't have had to kicked the back window out of my parts truck just to get to my waders.

18. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

What the hell lol

Couldnt you have just reached over the backseat?

19. Metrodps

Be sure that the rear hinges are well lubricated. Mine was harder than a lost cowboy after a long cattle drive.....
    Put some PB blaster on it and wow it works better.

20. Metrodps

If anyone need an outside window crank. There is one on eBay now.

TAILGATE WINDOW HANDLE CRANK Chevy SUBURBAN BLAZER

Item number: 8073661399