Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do I port heads?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ok, I've got my heads, and I've got my manifold, both sitting here, doing nothing, and I figgure I might give a shot to port matching them to eachother. is it as simple as getting the gasket, bolting it to the head/manifold and then using a dremel to even out the surface to the gasket edge? will I actually be able to do this, or am I just foolin' myself here?

thanks in advance,

-Rich

2. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

heads check,manifold check,gaskets check,die grinder and bit check, enough uninrupted time do do the job good luck,have fun /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

What you will be doing is called matching, porting is a whole other animal. Matching the heads to the exhaust and intake is just for a smoother air flow, you can polish the exhaust side smooth and that will help a little too.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah there are head porting kits out there. they include all the bits you need but it does take some time. i would use a dremel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Gasket matching is pretty easy. Get some machinists dye and apply it around the ports. Then lay the gasket in place and use a scribe to outline the port openings. Now you can get the gasket out of the way and do your grinding without damaging the gaskets. Summit Racing and Eastwood sell porting kits that come with the madrels and various sanding rolls.

If you have a lot of material to remove then a good set of carbide burrs will do the work a LOT faster than sanding rolls. I use the burrs for shaping and to remove most of the material, then the sanding rolls for the final smoothing. An air powered die grinder is the right tool for the job. The kits come with 1/4-inch mandrels which are too large for a Dremel.