Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do I prep top for painting?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyracing, Sep 11, 2002.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

How do I prep the top for painting and keep the texture?. I have a sandblaster but that may smooth it out. Any help appreciated.

maybe I should sand it and take it down and have a Rino Lining sprayed on since it will be black anyway.

Ideas, suggestions.????

John

2. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey John, I will ask my dad, he was body/fender man for 20 years, etc and painted many of these. We are gonna paint mine in the next couple months as well.

I am SURE you will not want to sandblast it, WAY too harsh on the fiberglass. I am afraid it would rip it to bits. My guess is dad will say light sanding over the whole thing and paint.

I will ask him about the Herculiner kinda stuff for the top. Again, I dont think he would recommend it, and we REALLY like Herculiner. We are shooting my bed/front tub area with it this year. (If you buy a 'underbody' spray gun you can spray Herculiner instead of rolling it. Gun cost us $20 or less.)

As far as the other thread....I am repainting mine in Hugger Orange again, BUT I am taking it TWO-tone like the same year pickups! So mine will be Hugger Orange with a big Black center portion on each side. That should look sweet with my Black kayline top and black bumpers.

I figure the hugger orange/black combo will look very nice, kinda an old Harley look?

So..I am not much help, but I will send Pop an email and fwd his response on to this board!

Sam

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

John,
    I had my son and one of his buddys go at it for about 1 hour ($5.00 per hour, slave driver) each with 80 grit paper, one had a sander the other wanted it but only had one, so he did it by hand. Didn't take much of the finish off, and it's ready to be sealed, (must seal fiberglass before priming).I was trying to smooth it out, but that would take alot of sanding. I'm ready to paint my truck also, going to a much brighter yellow then stock. Good Luck!

4. chevyracing

Thanks for the reply. I think I will give it a shot. I like the Hugger orange but I have been looking at it for over 12 years and it is time for a change.

John

5. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

What about media-blast? That shoudn't do anything to the texture and should remove paint, etc.

6. chevyracing

You mean something like baking soda?

John

7. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

I've heard that using walnut shells as the blast media works for the tops. Cleans it up without removing the texturing.

Dave

8. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Here is my pop's response, he used to do this all the time when our first gens were NEW! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Dad says: The "texture" is the trick. Probably just sanding with one of those "fuzzie pads" will cleaan it and prep it OK without removing much of the texture. If ang body work is necessary, he will end up with a smooth textuer.

The fiberglass responds well to "laquer primer" and a coat of acrylic laquer will come our stringy and give good texture IF you shoot it thick (very little thinner). That is what we use to do in the shops years ago. BUT, if the rino job is not too expensive, it would probably be a really good & tough finish. You could only do that so many times though before the build up became too thick.

PS: the real Rino comes in different shades so I understand

9. chevyracing

I assume you were talking about a scotch brite pad. I will give it a shot and see what happens. If I have to I will smooth it but that is a lot of work. I am hoping to ge tthis done in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know.

John

10. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I did mine last fall - washed it, scuffed it with a scotch brite paint, "cleaned it" with laquer thinner and then painted it with the furriest (thickest nap) paint roller I could find - paint roller gave it a nice texture. I did the inside too and then with the left over hardware store enamel paint I shot the interior.

Top looks good - of course its sitting on a stand out back right now waiting for what litle bit of winter we have here in central Texas. Interior still looks pretty good I used the Blazer to move into a new house a few months back so it can use an other shot. Going to try my hand at spraying the outside soon. Will probably go back with baby poop yellow./forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I did mine last year with a old chevy body guy. we just roughed it up with a scotch brite pad and painted it with vinyl paint. it looks great.