Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i prevent tailgate rust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88_k5, Jul 14, 2003.

1. 88_k5

88_k5 Newbie

just bought a 88_k5, Brand new tailgate, Just wondering if theres anyways to stop it fomr rusting on the tailgate and the tailpan area. Is the rust just caused from salt, or does it trap moisture or something? Any tps would be great. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

POR 15.......

3. 88_k5

88_k5 Newbie

on the inside or outside before i paint it or both? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

my belief the primary source of rust in that area is crap being kicked into it from the tire. The stock mudflaps just dont do a good job of stopping it. Get some heavy duty large ones, that will prevent stuff from flinging in.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

take it off and put it in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Paint inside and out, yearly take off the inside panel and spray it out (after the salt if you in the rust belt), good weather stripping on the glass and seal to the top /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif