Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i put fluid in rearend

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5mudder, May 2, 2003.

1. 89K5mudder

89K5mudder Registered Member

I just replaced the rear differential cover on my 89 blazer because it was leeking bad do to rust. How do i fill the rearend up with fluid and how much do i put in. What kind of fluid do you all use in your rearends/

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Fill the cover up with it face up on the ground, then quickly slap it on the housing, trying not to lose any of the fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, seriously, there is a fill hole on one side of the housing, in front of the axle tubes. Fill it until the fluid runs out. Use regular gear oil 85w-90 or so.</font>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] hehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

FYI, the best way to take the plug out is to use a 3/8 ratchet with an extension. It fits perfectly......

Another thing to consider for next time you swap out the rear fluid is to drain it and then use som BrakeKleen to wash out all the leftover gunk and residue. I use a full can per diff. Make sure you use a rag and scoop out any leftover sludge from the bottom of the diff and allow it to fully dry out before replacing the cover and adding fresh gear oil.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, I usually use 80w90 Valvoline or 90w140 Valvoline Semi-Synthetic. Otherwise I use the Slick 50 brand 80w90. They all cost ~$5/quart. It should take ~5 pints. Therefore you need to buy 3 quarts of oil.

There are two ways to fill it. You can go get a chainfall and lift the truck up about 6' in the back and fill with gear oil. Reinstall cover.

The easy way is to go get yourself a 3/8" ratchet with a 3" long 3/8" extension on it. You go find a plug that happens to be on the passenger side in front of the axle tube just above the centerline of the axle tube. You may have to clean the squaredrive hole in the plug with a small screwdriver first.

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] hehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

don't they have all kinds of pictures of this online (don't ask me where... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i've also heard that some people fill while there truck is on a bit of an incline so that you can get more fluid in there...

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Re: How do i put fluid in rearend (and a new question)

That's actually a bad idea. They design the fluid height so that you have the ideal amount of oil. Too much and it'll foam and overheat. too little and it won't get down the tubes to the bearings.

If you look inside an axle you can see that the ring gear actually flings oil around, through the top of the case, in front of the pinion bearings, and then it drains through the bearings. If you look at a rear ten bolt cover it's designed to let oil drip down those little holes and go down the tubes.

Speaking of such, has anyone used a front ten bolt cover on the back and not had lubrication problems? As you all probably know the front cover is at least twice as thick.

9. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I had heard someone who filled ziploc baggies with the proper amount of gear oil, shoved them in, bolted the cover up, then when the truck went to move, the ring gear shredded the ziplocs and released all the oil. Never tried it, but hey, its an idea! He never had any problems with it, but i'm not brave enough to do that in my truck!

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Never tried it, but hey, its an idea!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, it's an idea alright. An idea that I would normally describe with some swear words...but those aren't allowed here. That guy is nucking futs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

My Grandpa had a S10 Blazer that some grease monkey left their shop rag in. The rear end didn't last long with a rag running through the gears periodically.

That idea might work... but only in emergency situations. It sure would suck to get melted plastic in the bearings...

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had heard someone who filled ziploc baggies with the proper amount of gear oil, shoved them in, bolted the cover up, then when the truck went to move, the ring gear shredded the ziplocs and released all the oil. Never tried it, but hey, its an idea! He never had any problems with it, but i'm not brave enough to do that in my truck!

[/ QUOTE ]

They did this on junkyard wars one time.

13. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Here's my 1/4 cent worth. When I get time to drill my broken hold down bolt out so I can replace the axle shaft oil seal. I am going to squirt some of the new 85w90 right onto the gears and such before I put the rear cover back on. Its probably not necessary but I am anal like that. That way there is no doubt that all my parts will be lubed and ready. Which leads me to a question.

Would most folks replace both axle shaft oil seals at this time? One I feel positive is bad. The other seems ok as there doesn't appear to be any leaking going on. It would be a shame to have to do this job again in a year wouldn't you say.

Tks,
    Tom

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, there is a lil plug thing on the side/front of the diff... prolly on the passanger side. 3/8" ratchet it off and you're golden... pour in fluid until its level with the bottom of the hole.

good advice from others on cleaning a diff too... lots and lots of spray cleaner (brake etc) then use some kinda rag or something to wipe out the bottom of the diff... get those last few big chunks.

j

15. 89K5mudder

I didnt see a plug. The only thing that i saw was the plug that the vent tube was hooked up to, is that where i fill? I will have to look again. I need to do this asap.

16. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

It's not a hex head bolt, it's a critter that looks like the back end of a 3/8" socket. It's on the passenger side of the diff. close to the input.

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

So, it's a little after 11pm and I have a Communications exam at 7:45am the next morning. I get an email saying somebody still can't find the damn plug on a rear ten bolt even though I practically drew a map.

So, I wander outside, flip my axle over in the barn (I've had it sitting on its perches while I convert it to disk), and take a picture.

Sorry, but I had to harass you about not finding the plug. I couldn't help myself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

18. 89K5mudder

I found the plug but thanks for the picture anyways.

19. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They did this on junkyard wars one time.

[/ QUOTE ]
    YUP I havent seen to many of them but that time they were usen a K5 BLAZER so I watched it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif