Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I remove carrier bearings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Feb 3, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I read uglychevyzz4's post in the tech articles and looked on Pirate for the answer but can't figure out what I wanna know.

I broke my open front carrier a couple weeks ago and am gonna replace it with an Auburn LS that I bought from FRIZZLEFRY. The Auburn has the carrier bearings on it but it has too many shims making it too wide too fit in my case. Now I need to pull the bearings to remove shims and recheck the backlash. I've got a puller and have succesfully removed the bearings from the broken stock open carrier. But I can't get a puller on the Auburn.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It doesn't have the notches in the case like the one in the picture. The area where the bearing is sitting is the same diameter as the bearing. No place to put the jaws of the puller as you can see in the second of the Auburn carrier.

So is there a way to remove the carrier bearings without resorting to a die grinder and a cutoff wheel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I would have done that already but I'm afraid I'll booger up the carrier.

Any body got any suggestions?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They make a special tool for this, sounds like you don't have it?

The style that has two angled ramps that you tighten together with a bolt on either side, then bolts that lift the puller staright up.

Looks to me like what I describe is exactly what you need. It's what I used to pull the carrier bearings off of one of my 8.5" carriers. Had to rent it though.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Like this??? $19.99 @ harborfreight, I can probably find one around here for pretty close to that

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is a Harbor Freight store in Arlington Heights.

If all else fails they sell them at Carquest.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, thats it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd be a little afraid of the cheapies if the "jaws" aren't strong enough, but for the carrier bearings even a cheapy should work once or twice.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Orion,
    I have that exact bearing puller that I purchased at the Harbor Freight store in Florissant.

I've used it many times....

I also have their $99.00 press- works like a champ for gear setups.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've tried to use the cheapie from HF but found that the angle of the bevel was too steep. It would hit the roller cage before it was against the inner race. Had I used it, the bearing would have been wasted. I ended up renting a good one for a day. It was a 5-inch Snap-On that worked like a charm. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a Harbor Freight store in Arlington Heights

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be a little too far to drive, I'm in St. Louis. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I went to Harbor Freight in Florrisant this afternoon, what a bunch of cool crap for no $$$. I bought the $20 bearing seperator/puller but couldn't make it work on my case. I just broke down and took it to a local machine shop to have them pull the bearings. I'm gonna try to set up the gears tonight.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    [ QUOTE ]

NOO, thats not it. Theres a special carrier bearing remover tool. You take a race, put it on the bearing, put the puller on the bearing and the clamp around it, and use a Air Gun to srew it down and pull it off. Otherwise you could wreck the cage. If you dont want to buy one, im sure your local gear shop will pull em off for ya!
    If your just seting it up you should get some setup carrier bearings, that just slip on and off, much easier(and quicker) then having to pull the bearing off every time to add/remove shims.

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

NOO, thats not it. Theres a special carrier bearing remover tool. You take a race, put it on the bearing, put the puller on the bearing and the clamp around it, and use a Air Gun to srew it down and pull it off. Otherwise you could wreck the cage. If you dont want to buy one, im sure your local gear shop will pull em off for ya!
    If your just seting it up you should get some setup carrier bearings, that just slip on and off, much easier(and quicker) then having to pull the bearing off every time to add/remove shims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain this a little more? I'm confused about how what you are describing would work. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I payed a machine shop $10 to remove the bearings.I ground the inside out a little so they would slide on and off easily and used them to set up. I bought new bearings and pressed them on after I had it setup.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well its a little hard to explain but ill try. You put a race on the bearing, put the piece on the carrier(cant think of the name), where the axle would go. Then you put the part that actually pulls the bearing off, over that. Put two pieces around the puller and a clamp around those. You screw the puller down with an air gun, it pulls th ebearing off. Ill try and get you a pic later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those are slick, though expensive. I'm pretty sure that I've seen them at Randy's Ring and Pinion. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The best description that I can think of is that it works just like a power steering pulley remover, but the parts are bigger. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif