Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i remove my glove box latch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deek, Apr 28, 2004.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

The knob broke off on the old one, so its off & gone but i have another one in another truck but I don't know how to remove it. Its just a regular turn knob, theres no lock. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know that same question.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is there a hole in the center of the knob???
    Try plushing a straight pick into it..then turn the knob..
    It should fall apart..

4. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Thanks for helping, but it dosn't seem to be working for me. has this method worked for you before?

Damn! the sad thing is it's just a glovebox, anything else would be taken care of... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The poor mans being defeated by a glove box latch /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif What's the world coming down too /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There are 2 spring loaded tabs inside that push out radially on the housing. I use a paper clip to reach into the hole. You have to work it around till you can get it through the holes in the tabs, which in turn pull them clear of the groove in the housing. I don't remember the exact sequence, but seems like it is setting neutral, work the wire in, and twist. Or maybe not. I just fiddle with it and then it comes out. I always forget the details before it comes up again.

7. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I set the glove box down for a second just to take a break, & I swear i can hear it taunting me, just laughing away. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Does this make me any less of a man? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help everyone, I finaly got it, only took an extra day /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

So how did you do it?

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I popped off my 1985 K30 glove box knob off, I found that all it has is a sharp inside edge on the chrome knob, which just grabs a sharp outer edge on the lock housing. The way I got it off was just to pry the outer edge on the chrome dress knob, with a large wide flat blade screw driver (use some kind of small shop towel under the blade of the driver to protect the paint on the glove box), and it popped right off. When I looked at the lock with the knob off, there was no small hole at all with a spring depress in it. It was just flat metal behind it. To install the chrome knob cover, I just pushed it back on, and the sharp inner and outer edges just locked back together.

11. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

On the latch side of the box there is a slot toward the door, there is a retainer tumbler at that slot, depress tumbler with a paper clip or small pick, while pulling on the cylinder from the front side. The cylinder should slide out of the case. Now the retainer nut is visible, you can modify a bolt with a grinder to use as a tool to tighten or remove the nut from the lock case.