Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I remove the front frame shackle bushings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Nov 9, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Im trying to install the ORD front HD shackles and I need to remove the frame bushings....how is this done? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

(I searched for frame shackle bushings in all forums and go zero matches /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I drilled the crap out of the one. That helped me remove the sleeve on that side. Do you have the sleeve out? if the sleeve is out you should be able to grip the bushing with a pair of plyers and pull it out.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yup, drill the crap out of it. Weaken it's hold then drive it out with a punch.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's funny. Those are the only bushings that basically fell out of my truck. I didn't have to drill them or chisel them like I did the spring bushings.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the one just fell out of mine thats why I said I drilled the one. The other one was easy but didn't just fall out.

6. 88jimmy4x4

Im gonna finally tackle this tomorrow. I did the rear springs this week when I did my flip (major pain) and also the stock rear shackles.
    These front shackles look like poly bushings allready, not rubber like the factory rear ones, is this standard? will I still have to drill them out?
    I sure hope they just fall out like others have said.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Like I said before, I pulled mine out with my fingers.

8. 88jimmy4x4

LOL, okay Tim....maybe I will be as lucky as you this time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    These front shackles look like poly bushings allready, not rubber like the factory rear ones, is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I found poly bushings in the frame end of the front shackle of a bone stock '88 Blazer that I dismantled last year. So perhaps GM wised up and started using them instead of rubber at some point?

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i just lit mine on fire.
    well, i drilled one, then decided that was a bit to much work(only took like 5 min or so) and i lit the other one on fire and removed it after i had a cig myself. put the fire out a bit then let it re catch. toobk about a min or so.
    a bit extreame, and i thin you prolly like your paint. but it is an option.
    Grant

11. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]

I found poly bushings in the frame end of the front shackle of a bone stock '88 Blazer that I dismantled last year. So perhaps GM wised up and started using them instead of rubber at some point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes mine were a white looking poly bushing stock.

Well I got them out and the ORD kit installed. Took a loooooooooong time, man what a pain. The drivers side was very hard, I had to drill...hammer....drill....hammer, hammer hammer hammer then it finally came out. The passenger side was a pain because GM decided to install the bolt from the inside frame rail, therefore it wouldnt come out because it hit the exhaust pipe /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif had to cut the head off, then hammer the insert tube from the inside outward, however luckily it was being cooperative. It took about 5 hours total. I am glad though because this was the last bushings I needed to replace.

Just out of curiosity....was anyone elses pass side bolt put in from the inside frame rail from the factory?

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

When I done my ORD bushings, I had the bolt hit the exhaust too. I ended up hacksawing off the rubber on the outside of the frame and the heads off the inside of the frame rail then I used a hammer and punch and punched the bushings out. I bought and used a torch on the rear bolts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif