Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I remove the yoke on a NP203?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Is it as simple as removing the nut at its end and pulling the yoke out? or is it something more complicated/messy?

If you read my other post about my custom CV shaft, you'll know I'll need it to have the new CV shaft tapped and redrilled for this one's holes.

Thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

just that simple but do have a catch pan ready. little oil will drain.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim. I just tried, but my largest socket is 1-3/16" and that's not large enough. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I made a template on paper, I hope that's good enough for the shop.

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

it's 1-5/16" socket but you need to be sure that it is a thin walled socket. i have a 6 point 1-5/16 socket that is 1/4" thick at the point and it was to thick for the inside of the yoke and would not go in deep enough to engage the nut. what you need to look for is a socket with no more than a 3/16" thick wall, if you can find one with a 1/8" or 5/32" wall that would be better.

5. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Yep it is a 1 5/16" socket. When I pulled mine I needed an impact wrench to get it off. With just a ratchet (3/4" drive with an 18" handle) all I managed to do was piss it off . I didn't have any fluid come out on mine, I guess the seal was good.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I didn't have any fluid come out on mine, I guess the seal was good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Let me try out my mind reading skills.
    Your case is converted.
    You don't know that you need to put the 203 in LOC every 200 miles or so to get the chain spinning. The chain spinning refills a reservior in the the tail sahft housing. That reservior supplies oil to a pump that is on the output shaft next to the speedometer gear. It pushes oil all the way to that last bearing in the case.
    No oil dripping out means no oil in that bearing.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I got this socket to put the nut back on my 205:
    Pro Tools Direct

It is "thin-walled", but I still had to hammer the socket into the yoke a little. I was able to tighten it up with my torque wrench so it should come off with a breaker bar.

8. GoAWOL

GoAWOL 1/2 ton status

still a good question

I'm resurrecting an old one here but...

I have an NP203 that I'm trying to pull the yoke on so I can do the Mile Marker conversion. Seems GM made the yokes pretty tight for a standard 1 5/16" socket and I'm looking for other options besides grinding down the socket to fit. Anyone have a part number to a 1 5/16" socket that fits these yoke nuts?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have several sockets that I use for that. When I need one I just go to the auto parts store and buy one so I don't grind on a decent socket. Then I use a puller if the yoke is stubborn.

10. GoAWOL

GoAWOL 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response. I think you've given me my only real option. I'll run down to the local parts store and pick up a cheap one to grind up. I found a thin walled impact online but I'm not dropping $30 for a one time use.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

do the metric conversion and buy that size in a axle nut socket for fwd cars . thinner and impact grade. i just pulled one.

and if doing the 4 replacment block conversion watch out for the spider gears . there full of neaddle bearings . :eek1: not like a axle spider set at all.

12. GoAWOL

GoAWOL 1/2 ton status

found a socket that fits

Went to Autozone to pick up a cheap socket to grind. Bought a Duralst 1-5/16" socket, part # 75-960...and it fit. No grinding required:waytogo:

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thats a good new member posting up it fixed it and what part # to help others later.

glad we could help and keep the old girl runnin . :thumb:

14. GoAWOL

GoAWOL 1/2 ton status

She's far from running..

I made a vow to post up all the info I could on any projects I work. It really sux to find 85% of what you need to know but have to either live the remaining 15% yourself or find it elsewhere.