Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I replace lug studs on the rear axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Jun 24, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, I was tightening my rear lugs and one of them snapped off /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . What do I need to do to replace it? I imagine ill have to remove the axle shaft. How should I go about doing that? Its a 12 bolt.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

On a 12-bolt you won't need to remove the axle shaft. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Just remove the wheel and brake drum. Then rotate the axle so that there isn't anything close behind the broken stud. Use a drift and a big hammer to drive out the broken part. Slip the new stud in from the back, then slide a few washers over it. Using an open-ended lug nut, install the nut backwards, so the tapered cone is facing out. You want the flat part of the lug nut to press against the washers. Start tightening the nut and watch as the new stud magically seats itself into the axle flange. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Don't overtighten it, or you'll break the new one. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Remove the lug nut and washers, reinstall the brake drum and wheel. Check the lug nuts after dirving 25 miles or so and make sure that they're all still snug. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Ive done the washer and nut trick on my front lugs and now im glad i dont have to remove the shaft /forums/images/icons/grin.gif