Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I replace the coil in my 91 A/C compressor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jul 10, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've had a problem with the A/c fuse blowing in my burban and two people have suggested replacing some coil in the pump. How hard is this to do? I looked in both my Haynes and Chiltons manuals and neither have any info on this. How much would a new coil cost and can I install it myself? Will I need any special tools? What do I need to know before I do it? A factory re-man one is like $130 at Autozone so do yall think the work of replacing the coil is worht that much money? Thx

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The coil is behind the pulley, you sometimes need a puller to get the pulley off. Which means removing the compressor from the motor...

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If you have the correct tools all you have to do is remove the top portion of the fan shroud to do it....

DW

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am not sure why a bad coil would cause the a/c fuse to blow. The function of the coil on the a/c condensor is to engage the clutch so the compressor will turn. If this is the coil you are wanting to replace, it is replacable without removing the compressor. It requires a a/c clutch puller, a pair of snap ring plires, and a deep 7/16" or 1/2" socket. You will have to remove the top half of the fan shroud to have adequate working room.

From what you are saying, I think you should invest in a little more diagnostics before replacing parts.