Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I replace the weather stripping on my barn doors?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by afroman006, Aug 1, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My burby get leaky when it rainy so I bought some new door seals from LMC but I dont know how to get the old ones off and put the new ones on. I am replacing the ones that go around both barn doors and the strip at the top on the body. Thx

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just did the same thing about a year ago. The new weatherstripping has several white snaps that fit into holes on the doors. Test fit the stripping without pressing in the snaps to make sure you have the orientation right. Then fully install the snaps with Permatex weatherstrip adhesive in between. A little adhesive goes a long way. Take your time.

It takes a few hours for the glue to cure. Shut the doors gently, and let the hot sun compress the new stripping. You may have to adjust the door strikers out since the new stripping is thicker than the old stuff. Just adjust the strikers inward progressivly until you ge the right fit.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Do I just yank the old stuff off? Where can I get that permatex adhesive? My strikers are prety worn and the doors rattle a little, so maybe this will take care of that. I see you're from the promise land, are you in the offroad club up there? I'm moving up there in two weeks and plan to join it /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah just yank it it has little clips built in that will prob rip off in the hole so just cut/yank them after!

5. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I'm in TAMOR. If you bring your sub, you can officially join the exclusive "heavy as hell club." You'll be member #002.

What's your major?