Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Do I Salvage the Power Plant?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Jun 2, 2000.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I planned to tow my Blazer from Virginia to Louisiana with my '88 K1500 truck next Tuesday; however, three days ago the truck blew a head gasket. After removing the heads a one inch "scratch" was discovered in cylinder #7. I can feel the scratch with my fingernail and it's deep enough in the cylinder to make contact with the rings. The machine shop will be able to tell me tomorrow if the "scratch" is a crack that goes through the block. I am the original owner of this 12 year old truck (only 70,000 miles) and I intend to keep it. The heads are in excellent shape. What are my choices for repairing or replacing this motor? Can I have a sleeve put in the bad cylinder? Should I buy a long block or short block. I'm sure some of you have already done this type of shopping before and I'd like to benefit from what you have learned. I can handle the labor involved but I need some direction as to what is the most feasible remedy. Thanks.

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Try <font color=blue>http://www.paceparts.com

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

IT's probably not cracked. Usually the head gasket is the weakest thing, it goes first, then next, if you got it REAL hot, the heads will crack, like between the valves, lastly the block will crack. Think of it, most of the heat is in the head chamber area, not so much down in the block. If it's just a scratch, I'd use it just the way it is, put on new head gasekts and go. If you need to replace the block due to a crack, you can sleeve the cylinder, but if you decide to replace the engine, DO NOT merely get a shortblock and slap your old heads on it...do it right and get a complete longblock. Good luck.

ken

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Scrap it and order an engine from pace. You can't build an engine for much cheaper than what the base crate goes for and nowhere else will you get that 50k warranty. Once you get the engine it's a weekend project to get her back on the road. One great things about Old Chevy trucks is how easy most stuff is. Swaping the engine in my 79 was the easiest swap I have ever done. Didn't have to jack the vehicle up to do the job. You may actully have to let the air out of the tires to get the engine to clear the core suport. Get a strap under the tranny between the frame rails and start unbolting stuff. In about 3 hours you will be close to ready to pull it out. If you got a handy friend you will have the job done in a day.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper