Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do I set the timing...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoshA, Sep 27, 2002.

1. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

the subject says it all. I have a timing light and I know how to use it, but what I need to know is what should the timing be set at.
    I have a mostly stock 350 with hei, and I live at about 4000ft (I think). I think that I'm supposed to disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor but I'm not sure.

any help is appreciated.

BTW the problem I'm trying to fix is excessive exhaust smell. it smells very bad in the cab, like the gas isn't being burnt all the way. if anyone has any suggestions about this problem I'd love to hear them.

thanks

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your mixture in your carb. How does the motor run rough, smooth, slugish? A little more info might help diagnose it better. BTW, do you have a timing tab on your balancer? You should just time it off of that. Just find out what the marks correspond with from a shop manual etc.

3. yellowmoon

yellowmoon Registered Member

I just downloaded some great instructions about a month ago on how to time your vehicle. It went through the base, centrifical and vacuum timing. Really great, and I did it and the truck works great. I will find the addy and post it.

4. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

sounds great, I'd love to see the instructions.