Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Do I Ship A Transmission/Transfer Case Combo????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Aug 1, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I'm just curious, I know this has been covered- but not fully. How do you ship a transmission/t-case combo? I know ya'll say forward air is cheapest, but how does that work? do you just find a near location and take it to them? do they come by and get it? do they deliver to exact addresses? where can i find a pallet? a crate? this stuff is tough!! but i have to have this stuff soon so i really need help. thanks guys, and just break it down as much as possible, i'm stupid /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks
    Henry

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i just picked up a t-case from forward air.... was on a small pallet( about 1/2 normal size), i saw many identical pallets there so i assume you get it there. As for shipping to the exact address, i had to drive an hour and a half to pick it up and wait for 30 minutes for them to get it then drive an hour and a half home, so it's not too convient unless you live real close to a terminal

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well with ForwardAir, you have to take it to their terminal and pick it up from their terminal...They won't deliver to a residential addy...
    Basically, you crate up what you sold (I prefer making my crate outta scrap wood I have laying around) take it to your nearest Forward Air terminal, they unload it for you and you pay the shipping cost...Then it is shipped to the DESTINATION forward air terminal and the guy that bought it picks it up there...

You can buy pallets and have somebody else make a crate but it is kinda expensive...I just think it is cheaper to make your own and charge the guy you are selling to any of the material costs...

When shipping freight, most of the cost you incur on say a residence to residence shipment is the charge they charge you to load your stuff on a separate truck and and deliver it to your house from the termial...you can save alot of $$$ by dropping stuff off and picking stuff up at the TERMINAL rather than having them bring it to your door step...

For example, I was quoted over $500 for a residence to residence shipment of a D60...I was later able to get a quote as low a $280 or so by picking it up at the Roadway terminal...

Chris

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

All good info on forward air. As far as the pallet thing go to a local hardware store or lumber place they have lots of pallets and will usually give you 1 for free. I have never paid for one. Then use some good ratchet straps from the parts store to hold it on there. Forward air doesn't seem to care how you get it or keep it on the pallet as long as it stays on there.

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Henry, if you haven't already checked, the nearest Forwair Air terminal to you is in Greensboro, NC...25-30 miles

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yep i found that out last night

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have shipped several tranny/transfercase combo's. I use american freightways. but they don't do residential either. strap them onto a pallet. I usually wrap them in plastic (similar to saran a wrap) most places want only clean, drained parts. so make sure of that. Some tranny cases, like 208's and 241's are light enough to go UPS. I have shipped t-cases ups. a 208, in a wood crate is only 110 lbs. a th400 and others can also go ups. but there are extra charges. truck freight is cheaper on those, but UPS is easier.