Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i stop my motor from dieseling after i shut it off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Apr 14, 2004.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

About every other time i turn my rig off, it diesels. I don't know how to fix it. I'm running a 350 with a 600cfm edelbrock carb. Is it carb related or timing related? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Could be either one, brother. Too much timing or too rich of a mixture can cause run-on. You should also make sure that your advance weights and rotor aren't sticky. Pop off the distributor cap and make sure everything is kosher under there...

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In the mean time leave it in gear when you shut it off so it can't Diesel, then put it in park.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

BTW, fill out your profile a little more completely, my friend. For all you know one of us might live around the corner from you- don't be scared, most of us don't bite!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I always thought that dieseling was caused from a build up of carbon deposits on the heads, and the way to cure it was to spray some cold water down the carb to break it loose. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

Yes, SpearChucker you are correct. Spraying a fine-mist of water into the throat of the carburetor, while the engine is running, has worked successfully for me in the past; when I had an old clunker engine that I needed to last a few more miles until I rebuilt it. Another thing that should be looked into is a fuel leak in the carburetor main-body gasket. The carburetor could be continuing to feed it gas after it has been shut down.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shut it off in gear. Check your timing and plugs to see if it's running rich or lean.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

most common problem to cause it to run on is fuel still being drawn into the motor. Check that your butterfly's are shut in the carb when the gas peddle is not depressed, when you are idling and also when shutting the motor off the carb should only be drawing fuel through the idle jets, so if the butterfly's are open even just a little then the motor will still be sucking gas and air... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

turn idle speed down or retard the ignition timing a little bit, this is a very easy problem to correct, and is common but can damage the engine if you allow it to continue

good luck

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I rode in a friend's car one time. After we got where we were going and shut the engine off, it ran on for, no joke, 30 seconds! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i used tranny fluid instead of water hold the throttle open and pour a little in. it smokes a lot but steams it out... worked great for me

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I always thought that dieseling was caused from a build up of carbon deposits on the heads, and the way to cure it was to spray some cold water down the carb to break it loose. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Limey said...use tranny fluid instead of water. I've done this literally hundreds of times on different vehicles I've owned and worked on and yes, its always fun to watch the garage and neighborhood get all smoky white. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I rode in a friend's car one time. After we got where we were going and shut the engine off, it ran on for, no joke, 30 seconds! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Got ya beat. After plowing once this past winter our truck was nice and toasty. I shut it off and it dieseled so for shits and giggles I let it go...after at least a minute I got bored and let the clutch out to stop it. Thanks for the tranny fluid tip. My 86 blazer has started that dieseling crap now too.

14. fordeater

Mine only does it when its warm/hot outside. Whenever its cold, it won't diesel. It's pretty annoying. How much tranny fluid should i dump in?

15. fordeater

16. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't just dump a whole bunch in. Pour in a little bit in a time. Make sure you do it outside. Lots and lots of smoke.

I was bringin back to life an old motor in my uncles garage and I had folks stoppin thinkin there was a fire. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Be prepared to be usin two hands. One to pour and one to keep crackin the throttle.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan