Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I take the chrome off my tailgate?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Aug 13, 2001.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

I just totally stripped my 72 3/4 ton GMC pick-up (2 wheel drive) and it had the chrome package. What I would like to do is take the chrome off the tailgate and double sided tape it to my tailgate. How do I get it off?

Thanks guys,

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well if you live near a big city take $10 and go down to main street about 11 o'clock at night or so...........oh wait that a movie. But why do you want to tape it on? is it not stronger the way it is?

Like em big and topless

3. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

The reason I am going to tape it on is because there is NO way I am going to drill anymore holes in my truck. Up here, holes = rust. I am working on getting rid of all the rust I already have. Not only that but I am also going to get it painted in a year or so and I want to be able to get it off without this whole problem again.

That's about it. BTW, does anyone know how to get the chrome off?

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok well that makes sence, I haven't really had to deal with a lot of rust issues cause I live in texas but, if you do end up having to drill get some silicone and dab the screws in that before you screw them in or whatever goes in the hole, this should prevent rust. Either that or you may try some stuff called Life-Caulk available from boat yards it's like a caulk but never actually gets hard, stays pliable, they use it for sealing thru hulls that stay underwater all the time. just a thought good luck

Like em big and topless

5. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I dont know about tailgates....but I know a girl who can take the chrome off a trailer ball hitch!

Sorry....couldnt resist.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

How's it attached? Screws or tape?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album</a>

7. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I believe it should be attached with clips similar to the chrome around the taillights. And it seems to me that I remember there being sppednuts on the section directly above the tailgate handle. The bottom strip is just clips I think. It's been a while sence I did mine, but thats what I remember.