Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I take the valve springs off of my heads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 15, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've got some old "882" heads I want to get rid of, but I need to get the valve springs off before I sell the heads. They're Comp Cams ones I paid $60 for and I don't feel like letting 'em go yet.
    Anyways the rocker arms are off already and I just bought a valve spring compressor tonight. What do I do now???

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If the spring compressor is the type for removing the spring with the head removed from the engine (C shaped). Adjust the compressor to where the stationary end (flat round) is touching the flat portion of the valve, then position the top portion over the spring retainer. Then compress the spring (should compress fairly easy if the compressor is a good one). Once the spring is compressed, remove the two valve keeper locks. Slowly let pressure off the spring, remove the retainer and you are finished. Repeat for the other valves. Be sure to wear saftey goggles, your shop teacher would be proud [​IMG]. I had a spring come loose one time and hit me right in the forhead. Not too cool with a red ring for a couple of hours. Very dangerous. Be careful.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK, here's the deal. I didn't get the C shaped compressor. I got the one piece one that looks like a fork. You put it on the rocker arm stud and lift up the handle to push the spring down. The problem is, I can't stop the valve from moving too. Any ideas or should I just get a better compressor?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

The compressor you have is made to remove the spring with the head still on the vehicle. You use compressed or rope if your are an old timer - in the cylinder and that will hold the valve up. In your case you would need to somehow clamp your head down and have something sandwiched between the valve and the surface you are clamping it to. Ok this may sound crazy but try it, find a 2x4 or 2x6, set your head on it, mark and drill a couple of holes in the board where the head bolts are. Then sandwich a piece of rope or something between the board and the head. Put some head bolts into the board/head combo. Then put a nut on each bolt (should not take too many bolts). Then you could get your compressor to work. Sounds like a shadetree mechanic idea, but it will work.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Makes since. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help Mudzer.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad