Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I turn my idle down?: TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chrome Moly, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

I got a 88 350 TBI and after I install my headers high-flow mufflers, and new clutch, my idle runs really high, right around 2,200 RPM! I was wondering if this has happened to any of you? Since it's not a carb. set-up there's no idle screw to turn, because i think the ECM controls the idle and timing. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I've got a '87 350 TBI and had to increase my idle to compensate for a problem diagnosed by "Turbo." Anyway, you'll find the adjustment screw under a factory installed cap that hides/protects it at the end of the throttle linkgage. Just carefully turn a sheetmetal screw into this aluminum cap until the threads bite (about an eighth of an inch) and then pull the screw out, cap and all. You'll find the idle adjustment screw there.

3. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

I also have a '87 350 TBI that I needed to adjust the idle on. Unfortunately the idle screw didn't totally solve the problem. It turned out the base gasket for the throttle body was sucking air and causing the idle to fluctuate. Just thought you would like to know if the screw doens't solve your problem all the way.

Mike

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

check the idle control solonoid it should vibrate when you turn on the truck its has a piston that goes in and out letting in air to control idle.