Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I unload a shotgun with a round chambered?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skigirl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It's a 12 gauge pump. Older model - "Ranger". There's a round in the chamber. Doesn't appear to have a safety. There's a small sliding type button behind the trigger guard that doesn't slide. The gun has not been cared for. I need to get it unloaded for transport. Can't leave it in it's present location, loaded or not.

Anyone know how to safely get the round out of the chamber without firing it?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

There should be a little slide or button near the trigger area. Just press it in and slide the pump lever towards you and the round should kick out

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ye[, check around the tigger area for a button or blade, and rack the slide to eject the shell. Keep doing it a few times to make sure it's empty

Also

Where'd ya get the shotgun?

Why is it loaded in storage?

4. Resurrection_Joe

Looks like it's going to be a Wincheter 1300 or 120 is it is indeed a pump and not a knockoff.

It should have a safety behind the trigger on the back of the triggerguard

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pull the trigger. :grin:

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

if you push up on the little slide looking button up it will unlock the bolt, push that buton up and rack the slde. While doig this keep the muzzle in a safe direction. it doesnt have to be pushed up far. let me know if that works.

rugger

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. The button won't move and the pump action only goes halfway, so round can't eject. The gun was a friend's father's, who is now in nursing home. Just found the gun loaded. Been sitting for some time. Not well cared for. And loaded. Not a good combo. Hence my hesitation to just discharge and empty it that way. Concerned that the barrel may not be clean or be obstructed in some way.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

call a gun smith , (should you drive with the gun like that?)

or hell even a cop, mabey they can help you

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Doubt a LEO can be of much help unless he or she is a smith or armorer on the side. DO NOT drive with it like that.

If the pump will partly open, then you can remove the barrel. It's been a while, but I seem to recall that the knurled far end of the magazine under the barrel will unscrew and release the barrel. It will need to have the pump partly opened to do this though. With the barrel out you should be able to convince the extractor to let go of the shell.

Failing that, send me a PM with your location and we can work out who can swing by to help.

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Have you gotten it out? I have a couple of buddies down there (ones an LAPD range instructor) who I could get to stop by and help you out or one thats on duty if you live in the West Valley area.If not, call your local police depts busness number and explain your situation and I am sure someone will stop by and help out.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Don't try to discharge the weapon. take it to a gun smith, don't take a chance with a weapon with a unknown history!

12. Resurrection_Joe

Soak the bitch in Remoil! :grin:

My Remington 870 comes apart with the action halfway open, just try and remove the end of the magazine tube.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! Got it fixed. There was a second safety on it so had to release both at the same time to enable the pump. Round ejected. Turns out it was a spent round - but no way to tell that while it was chambered.

Thanks again for the help :thumb: