Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i weld my 44?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, May 6, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok i know this isnt the best way to do things but i wanna get by on the cheaphow do i weld up my dana 44 front? this is just until i get my spool. ipics or a tech article would be awesome thanks

2. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

i welded my rear 10bolt. What i did is clean it all up of gear oil and took off the ring gear. Then i took the center pin that slides into the spider gears and used some high temp wheel bearing grease. Then i took some rags and stuffed them in the spined ends of the side gears making sure no spiles were exposed. I also put grease were the ring gear would bolt to the carier and any wear i didnt want the slag from welding it to stick. Then welded the side gears to the top and bottom gears and compleatly filled the gap between them full of weld. Then welded each gear to the carier and to the and to the other gears soo it was like it was all one thing. You have to make sure that the grease dosnt burn off just keep an eye on it. I hope i was able to help and after words go get some spare axles and U joints becuase you will definatly need them. Good luck

3. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

just take all the fluid out of it and drive with your hubs locked in...

4. bigbadchev84

i just want to use this temporary, i will buy a spool or a trac loc later, i just sold my trac loc to my brother because i had i deal going on a dana 60 that fell through. i just want to be able to re-use everything but the carrier and spiders. anyone have pics or a write-up? i have a friend that is a professional welder that can wirefeed it for me

5. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

the smartest way I have seen !!

spidersclose.jpg

spider.jpg

spiders.jpg

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I left about .010 of back lash when I welded my spider gears no proplems yet.

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Just thought I'd throw out there that I have a welded D44 carrier I won't be using. It is welded very solid. I wheel with the guy I got the axle from and I saw him go through 2 complete sets of shafts with it. He's very hard on the throttle and runs 35's. The only problem I noticed about it is the side spider splines are worn some. Click HERE for the for sale ad I have up. :D

Rick

10. MTBLAZER89

you left slop in the spiders? They will break that way. They'll break shafts either way, but the spiders having slop in them is harder on the teeth.

11. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

yet, probably the worst way to do it. not to mention the fact that you showed a 14 bolt, and he asked about a D44.

this too is also a 14 bolt. if he welds a 44, it will look nothing like that picture.

12. MTBLAZER89

I am well aware of that, but welded D44 spider pics aren't floating around here like a 14B. I was simply stating the fact that welding a bead in between the teeth was not the correct way to do it. It should be fully welded into a solid ball.

13. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i agree. it should be one solid piece. welding a couple teeth and letting it flop around is asking for trouble. you might also consider this: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/public/poormans_locker.mov :D

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of the one I've got for sale:
    It's kind of sloppy welding, but it got the job done.
    S2010017.JPG

Rick

S2010017.JPG

15. bigbadchev84

the only prob with that is i have 4.56 gears i dont think they will work with a 3.08 carrier

16. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

my problem with the welding into a huge ball is that weld is very hard and rigid, it seems like theres alot of heat going into all of that ! I know this is only a dana 44 so the axels will snap long before the weld will in the big ball but on a 60 or 14bolt ? I dont know I am probably wrong with all of it ! probably over thinking it ! sorry if I may have missled anyone

17. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

as long as you let it cool down slowly, the heat is not an issue. but if there is play in the side gears, then the will constantly try and jump over the weld. this will eventually shock load everything, then you will have to buy a full detroit cause you broke the carrier.