Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Anteak, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

I'm about to remove my sm465/205 from the Blazer. Can anyone list the procedure to remove and replace? Should I remove the tranny and transfer as one unit? What kind of weight am I looking at? I need to replace the front seal on the tranny, is this going to be difficult? Any help/advice is welcomed. Treat me kindly, I'm a newbie.
    Thanks

73 Blazer, So. Ca.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

With a good tranny jack you can remove them both at the same time. Rental places usualy charge about $20 to rent a jack.
    A good sized floor jack works too but when I use one of those I split the 2 to keep the thing from falling off the jack.
    Along with the front seal get a gasget for for the front bearing cover, silicone will not work.
    The gasget is also a shim and if you just use silicone it will not fit right.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. Once the crossmember is removed, do I support everything at the engine or just start working my way back. If I seperate the transfer case first, will I need to drain it. Would it be easier if both are in gear for removal/installation. Are there any drawing for the front input shaft for the tranny. Is it a simple seal replacement?

73 Blazer So. Ca.