Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do radar detectors work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddybuddy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive been thinkin bout a radar detector for a while know, and it was refreshed in my thought when my dad got pulled over and ticketed for goin 80 in a 65. how exactly do these things work? its "illegal" in virginia to have one, and if ur caught they take it, but will they know you have one?

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

they emit a signal, the signal travels out, bounces off your vehicle, and returns to their unit, a couple of times in a split second, and it calculates how fast you are going...

and YES, they can tell if you have one, they have radar detector,,,detectors,,,

i had one in the truck i used to drive cross country, got pulled into a scale in Tennessee, they stopped me on the scale, thought this was kinda weird, as i knew i was really light,,,come to find out his little detector was yelping at him, and he was trying to determine if it was mine or not.

yeah, i know, i forgot to turn it off when i pulled in there:doah:

as i was inside getting my award for the log book violation, and the detector in the truck,,,i heard his detector go off as some other trucks passed by the scalehouse..

tried to be cool with him, and he still gave me a $425 ticket, oh well

personally, i don't even use one anymore, in anything i drive, really you get caught when you are by yourself, but the problem is, they have this thing called "instant on"

you are doing 80, you don't see anything, but your radar detector goes "beep beep beep" and that's it,,,,,,you're toast, no faint signals or anything

3. muddybuddy

damn...so theres no way to beat the system now. i was hoping that you could turn it on, and when you hear the beeping noise indecating that there are cops around u could jus turn it off. does it only emit a signal when cops shoot the radar gun at you or jus when its on period?

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Are you planning on going that much over the speed limit in your giant Blazer that you need to worry about a radar detector?

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Most departments no longer use radar...they use lydar (sp?) its alot more accurate than radar. There are also many ways to get around a ticket if the officer used radar. if the gun was not properly calibrated before the shot you and then after, the numbers can be fought... I may not work everytime but it does work. Now there are lydar jammers which are undectectable. The way they work is to absorb and deflect the laser in a differant direction so the cop cant read your speed and it will emit a warning light that gets installed in the vechicle letting you know to slow dowm...

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i asked this and made a comment to the officer at the scalehouse too about this, the unit I had, was supposedly undetectable,,he even said that technology gets so outdated so fast, companies come out with a unit to beat cops, and the cops come out with a better unit just about the same time.....never ending battle,,,just do the speed limit or near it, and quit screwin around.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

They say the Valentine 1 is the best detector there is. Until I see it first hand, I don't believe it.

Radar detector detectors, heard of 'em, never seen 'em. Well actually, I have seen 'em around here and they work like this. Officer/Deputy/Trooper so and so sees vehicle, turns radar on and the second it returns a speed, the speed drops at a rate so fast that it is a signal to the officer/deputy/trooper that the driver has a radar detector. Unfortunately he has already seen the speed on his radar and the speeder is nabbed.

Also, if you get nabbed, feel the need to contest the citation and feel the need to rest your whole defense on radar calibration, you better do your homework before you go to court. That argument and that argument alone will cause you to lose your case around these parts............................

:haha: :haha: :haha:

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

No problem. You could easily be fooled with aluminum foil on the hub caps:D

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Just ride with this guy.................he's got ya covered

[​IMG]

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Actually, all speed enforcement training we have these days is done by some guy named Walter Crow Horse, so we really have no need for radar...................:D

11. muddybuddy

i was just curious...its the lounge. whats wrong with wanting to know where the cops are? im not saying i plan on goin 20 over, but it would be nice to have a heads up....thats all

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Just as long as you know that a radar detector will not tell you where all the cops are.

:D :D :D

13. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

When I got my ticket in Richmond 15 yrs ago the officer was kind enough to show me how they worked. It baiscly detects the leakage from your detector and puts the Radar in stanby mode till your signal gets strong enough then bam his radar goes on and he gets you. I believe the only reason they get away with banning them is because of the leakage. As far as I know the FCC passed a law back in the 50's forbiding the government to stop you from recieving a radio signal so that parts ok, its the transmitting thats regulated so thats where they get you.

I drive down 66 every day from Falls CHurch to Manassas and Ive learned the best way to find them is to let someone pass you and get a few hundred yards in fron then pace them and watch for brake lights, even if someone is going the limit they still tap the brakes when they see a cop.

BTW watch out for the new cars in Fairfax county, so far this year Ive seen an unmarked Magnum, an unmarked F350 with a cap, both a marked and unmarked Chrysler 300, a few unmarked suburbans, Marked and unmarked Camaros (them marked is cool its maroon with the county stickers in maroon just like the blue county cars) a bunch of marked 2500HD's marked and lastnight I saw 3, count em 3 unmarked mustangs in about a 5 mile strech.

14. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

My radar detector.....

I wait till a guy is going faster than I am and I get about a half mile behind him. When he hits the brakes going over a hill, you know there is a cop there. Of course you now have to find another person to speed in front of you b/c that one just got pulled over. But I never go more than 10 over anyways, and there is a lot of the 85+ people around here.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just keep up with the traffic flow, except for the crazy flow that likes to do 90+

hard to keep something with the aerodynamics of a brick going that fast all the time

16. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Quite the budget.

17. muddybuddy

well when we got pulled over, we were just keeping up with the pack, and he chose us. he didnt show us the speed on the radar gun, but i guess thats not manditory.

18. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah its insane of how many different cop cars fairfax has, they have wayyy to much money.