Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do ROUND swampers feel on the highway???..... !!! GREG TELLS ALL....w/ PICS !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have finally located a place that does "tire truing" and made an appointment for tomorrow.

Supposedly, they are able to put the truck up in the air (while the tires are still warm so they don't flatspot while they're working) and then do the actual cutting process with the wheel/tire still mounted to the hub. Once the tire is ROUND, they do a high-speed balance (also on the truck) so that everything should be perfect.

I know I have at least one REALLY bad tire (non-Round) and maybe more....it will be interesting to see how much tread they'll need to cut off to get them fixed.

Anyway. It's about a 30 minute drive to the shop, and probably 45 minutes from the shop to my work....so I'll have plenty of time to evaluate the BEFORE and AFTER effects.

I'll keep you posted. :deal:

UPDATE:

:thumb: IT'S REAAAALLLLLLLY NICE !!!! :waytogo:

I just drove a stretch of highway one-handed at 75MPH! I've never driven those kinds of speeds before, and certainly NOT with only one hand on the wheel.

I'd say the difference is night-and-day. That's not an exaggeration...... Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how little rubber was removed to achieve "trueness". I've got all the shavings in a shoebox-sized box, and the pile is only about 3" thick. Not bad. The runout on the worst tires was about 1/4"....(the high spots) the other two were maybe 1/8"....but those apparently small variations are magnified a LOT at highway speeds.

I took pics....the shop is really clean and the owner is great. He spent a lot of time doing all the truing and balancing on the vehicle (which takes longer but turns out better)

PICS:

Here's is what a $6200 truing machine looks like....

[​IMG]

They just got this one in their shop....it still had that "new car smell" :D

Here's what it does when you let it work..... A little scary at first: (the cuttings are paper thin! Weird.)

[​IMG]

An interesting action shot....

[​IMG]

....and the end result:

[​IMG]

The last picture is somewhat deceiving....it's not as butchered as the picture makes it appear. The process does not produce a "super smooth" finish like when you turn metal in a lathe....the rubber is trying to squirm and shift as the blade cuts it. The final finish is a slightly textured-looking tread, but that texture will probably disappear in less than 100 miles of regular street driving.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: How do ROUND swampers feel on the highway???..... I tell you tomorrow !!

Out of curiosity have you run your tires with no weights at all yet? I saw all the lead currently hanging off your rims at Moab...

My old 36's (also with a ton of balancing weights on them) ran way worse than the 39.5's I have right now with no balancing at all.

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a set of 35's shaved many years ago. The before and after difference was amazing! However, be forewarned that the amount of shaved rubber that ends up on the floor of the shop is pretty disheartening... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Make sure to bring home the pile of rubber so you can pile it up on your kitchen table and cry into it.

5. Greg72

I've already got a shoebox full of rubber from the "grooving" I did....it's amazing how much rubber is in that box, and how much it weighs.

:tongue1:

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's kinda funny. My Swampers run truer than the radial M/Ts on my DD!!

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

speaking of: who has my groover? i know it was doinf the ol' "World Tour" and i'm in no hurry. just want to know how far its gotten /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Greg72

Ryan picked it up from me a while back..... I lost visibility to it's "travels" after that point......

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds "High Tech"!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Are You taking before and after pics??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Greg72

I'll have to see what their "photography in the work area" policies are.....but I'd like to take pics if they'd let me.

:deal:

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Zakk- I have yer groover sitting in my garage next to my 38's. Worked Great! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    MilpitasK5 wanted me to sipe his tires for him one of these weekends... Ive been meaning to buy a spare and groove that also... I'll get it back to greg pretty soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Or we could meet up for a beer somewhere and i can give it back to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tell them...
    "Pics may generate some more bussiness." /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg,I read a article on this tire shaving.It said this process works great. post how it turns out, I would like to have my 44's done.......

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

sweet. glad lots of people are getting use out of it.

BadDog wants a run at it. Maybe after you do Chris' siping you could coordinate with BadDawg (?)

lemme know. the beers sound good. Sunday after 7pm is all i got, really. but if it works for the rest of you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Greg72

Re: How do ROUND swampers feel on the highway???..... I tell you RIGHT NOW !!!

ttt - see update! :thumb:

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Round tires must be nice!
    Now that you got them matched to the axles make sure you mark them before you remove them. If you rotate them (or put them in a different spot) on the hub they won't stay as true.

17. Greg72

Yep......

They're like BUTTA'........

My tires wear pretty evenly, so not being able to rotate them is a minor concession. As you mentioned, all that's required is that I mark the wheel, relative to the hub before removing them, and I can always get back to this same SMOOTH setup.

Can't wait for the drive home!!! :thumb:

18. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

How much do they charge per tire?

19. Greg72

Re: How do ROUND swampers feel on the highway???..... I tell you RIGHT NOW

Depends what you want them to do...

I had them do an "on the vehicle" truing and balance which is probably the most expensive and time-consuming way to do it. They spend a solid 4 hours on my truck, so at Bay Area prices (where everything is expensive) it ran me $300 for the set of 4.

Considering the improvement in ride quality, and the fact that I will actually WANT to drive my K5 places now....I'd say that represented a good investment of my time/moola!

20. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: How do ROUND swampers feel on the highway???..... I tell you RIGHT NOW

Sweet pictures Greg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm curious what made you decide on that particular groove pattern though. That pattern definatley isn't typical. Gonna do my 42's indenticle to Watsons- I woulda figured you would have done the same... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif