Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do stereotypes get created?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Jun 20, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

How do stereotypes get created?

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's much to heavy of a question at this moment.

[​IMG]

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well at first there was only one, then they came up with FM, so that was a new type, then they combined the two to a am/fm, then added things like turn tables, 8 tracks, reel to reel, cassets, cds,dvd, mp3, and [SIZE=-1]satellite radio.
    [/SIZE]

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'd say it's because of a LOT of people seeing a LOT of a certain genre of people doing a certain thing... Then a LOT of that certain genre of people who DON'T do that certain thing get pissed and say that ALL of the other people are idiots.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Stereotypes have some basis formed from the truth.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

People tend to notice the bad people do more than the good

For example, everytime you see some black kid all gangstered up, you may think, yep, that's the way it is, shucks howdy, darn black kids

Then you see a black firefighter. Oh, hi firefighter, how you doing, I love firefighters, what a cool guy, darn cool firefighters

Eh.....

7. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

it all goes back to my theory that people are fashionists more than they are racists, you give a perfect example above.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Ding, ding, ding! Give that man a cupie doll, we have a weiner!!!

John

9. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Fear and misconception. Unfortunatly people tend to focus on the negative. Like all country folk are in the clan.

10. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I vote for a basis in truth...but there is a well recognized psycologial condition, the term for which is escaping me at the moment, which lends itself to noticing a particular behavior in a group of people once the individual in question has had a bad experience. For example, when I rode sportbikes, I rode! Now, when I am blasting down a canyon at 100-110 MPH and come up on a middle aged guy riding a brand new Harley going like 3 MPH I get pissed and conclude that Harley riders suck...from that point on all I ever noticed was middle aged re-entry riders going 3 mph...

Truth #1 - The vast majority of re-entry riders purchase Harleys.
    Truth #2 - Harley Davidson's target market is middle aged professional men (gotta have cash)

My mis-perception - yes, lots of Harley riders suck and go 3 mph, but I once, not that long ago, blasted down the 101 going 110 mph for about 20 miles next to this dude on an old skool Harley chopper thing who was taking every corner just fine...

11. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think most of them come from ignorance . Thats why most of them are negative,how many positve stereotypes can you think of compared to bad?

12. noahrob

The "cult of the noble savage" is a positive stereotype where white people view historic native americans in a two dimensional light where they lived in perfect synch with nature and didn't hurt the environment etc...the truth is that any culture is 3 dimensional and there is plenty of historic evidnece to suggest that many native american tribes depleated their surroundings of good hunting, food, and other natural resources just everybody else...

But yeah, your right, it is ignorance...if I don't know about it, and especially if i don't like it...well it basically sucks and they are ALL like that...

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

There are stereotypes based upon real life observation, and there are stereotypes based upon historical acceptance, whether accurate or not.

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for firming up the stereotype that 99% of guys on crotch rockets drive without consideration for others on the road. BTW, the guy on the hog was probably doing a little something us common folk call "the speed limit". You just couldn't tell because you were exceeding said limit by at LEAST 40 MPH.

Since we were talking about stereotypes and all, I thought I should throw that in.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Or they are formed by the fact that you have had to call one of the major credit reporting agencies twice within 30 minutes and after the coversation, you would like to punch a liberal in the face..................................

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My reply from a thread on the same topic from awhile back-

I would say that they are rooted in the truth, or what people PERCEIVE to be the truth. Unfortunately, the minute perception or assumption comes into play, the truth becomes someone's opinion. And therein lies the rub.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Exactly..................................

What happens is one from another culture looks at the truth of that particular culture and because of some skewed sense of reality, that perception of the truth gets whacked.

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Although just as often, a stereotype exists that is accurate, but the recipients of the stereotyping decide they don't like it. The recipients then alledge that the stereotype is racist, homophobic, etc. etc. and that the person making the stereotype is wrong. Since we live in a society hyper-sensitive to these allegations, the accuracy of the stereotyping becomes secondary to the allegation. This is a common tactic in lots of venues and I see it in court all the time. The guilt or innocence of the accused party takes a backseat to allegations of profiling, excessive force, procedural violations, etc. The ability to re-focus attention on someone else is a tried and proven tactic. Worked for O.J.......

19. noahrob

That is a great point, the difference between being a victim of stereotyping, or using it as deflective rhetoric muddy the waters and make it difficult to determine if it is based in truth (guys on crotch rockets drive without consideration for others on the road) or perception (You just couldn't tell because you were exceeding said limit by at LEAST 40 MPH...actually it was a posted 35 MPH, so I was exceeding it by about 70 MPH...)...LOL

I sitll think that the truth is that most, not all, stereotypes are born out of some observation and then married to my particular perception or interuptation of what I observed...re-enforced by my narrow outlook on life and often times unwillingess to broaden my horizons by trying to walk in another man's shoes before I judge him.

20. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So all Super Duties with 10 inches of lift and 35" tires with 24" rims aren't mall cruisers?:deal: :haha: :haha: :D