Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do they know where I'm from?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by driney, Oct 22, 2005.

1. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just clicked on a link from another thread (www.muchosucko.com) and noticed the personal ads were supposedly for girls from my area. While I doubt any of the girls pictured were actually who they were said to be, it got me curious. How do they know where I'm from to target the ads toward me? Is it just from the IP address my provider is using or is it tracking cookies I've picked up somewhere? I run antivirus and antispyware software and am behind a firewall, but i'm wondering if I should do something more.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Every time you go to the internet, your ip and point of origin is transmitted. The only way that I know of around it is IP Spoofing, which I haven't done in years. But even with that, the service you use will narrow your location down some.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Internet has merged with the physic network.....................they now know everything about us..................except for me and my monkey!!!

Quoth the "Fumes" :bow:

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

They know about your monkey too, and that you have been spanking it.......... :D