Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do winches get stolen? How to prevent?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 10, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

What are some ways you've seen people steal winches? This conversation started in this thread:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155074
    But I didn't want to hijack.

I suggested welding the (or extra) nuts on the ends of the mounting bolts. Maybe even weld on the nut a tack so that you can't even get a wrench on the nut. Someone said that would void the warranty? Why? What do the bolts have to do with whether the winch works or not?

Any other ideas? Someone suggested put angleiron over them. More?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

On my old winch bumper I welded one of the bolts so that you couldn't get a wrench on it unless you used and angle grinder to reshape the head. It was also very hard to get the winch out of the old bumper unless the bumper was off the truck so I welded 1 of the bumper bolts that went threw the frame.

My winch was used when I got it and I didn't have a warranty. All I know is my winch never came off my truck unless I was the one taking it off.

Harley

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

welding on the bolts could weaken them... especially if you did it over and over to the same bolts. How about making some little steel "domes" or caps that covered the bolt heads... tack weld those on and call it good?

j

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

That was exactly what I was suggesting. I assume most thieves are not carrying serious tools. I would figure they would be reluctant to use torches because of the noise and light (especially at night), and a grinder would take power.

Any other ideas or info about the warranty?

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I don't see how welding the bolts or nuts used to mount a winch would void the warranty?!? Unless, however, you actually welded them to the winch, then I could see it. Otherwise, it seems fair game. If you are worried about that, go buy some other hardware and save what came with it for "warranty purposes."

Kris

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I just made mine a PITA to remove. You can barely fit an open end wrench in there and only get about 7* of movement. It doesn't happen fast. If you don't do it in the right order the bolts bottom out on the skid plate. This was never by design though. Harley can attest that I have accidentally made both of my mounts theft resitant (and my stinger was almost intalation proof :doah: )

7. jekbrown

My guess would be that welding on the mounting bolts would be a no-no from a manufacturers perspective because of liability reasons. Sure, the winch will work fine... but if some garage welder guy weakens the mounting bolts a bunch and then is doing a nasty hard pull and the bolts break and the winch flies out and kills someone... well, businesses don't like lawsuits.

j

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever seen thieves torch off the frame rails or something else crazy like that?

9. jekbrown

Never heard of such a thing... any theif that wants to torch junk off tends to be the guy who uses a flatbed trailer + winch to steal your entire rig... takes it to a shop and chops it up there.

j

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, actually happened on the midnight shift while I was working for Warn right in the Warn parking lot. Thieves came into the parking lot, torched off the frame rails behind the spring eyes and cut everything off and took it all. The owner of the rig couldn't even drive home cause the front springs weren't hooked to anything. No one saw anything.

11. jekbrown

wow, thats some crazy chit. Warn doesn't have cameras watching their parking lot eh? Might be a good place to "find" a winch then... lol! kidding! ;)

j

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thats nuts!!!! I would be livid!

Kris

13. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

On the scale of things, winches aren't really THAT expensive. That's pretty ballsy! Especially because over $500 is a felony.

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah there are camera's in the parking lots, but the camera's didn't pick anything up from what I remember hearing. This was like 10 yrs ago.

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I welded a piece of angle iron over the nuts. I believe it was 3/4" angle iron. You can't get a wrench on the nut, just the bolt from the top.

16. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

What is it welded to? The mount/bumper?

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would think a high quality alarm would be a good idea.

18. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

Tie a dog to the bumper!! Most people wont deal with a mean barking dog. :haha:

19. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I try to keep my truck as low-tech as possible. It still bothers me that I have a digital ignition system. Besides, I think the money could be spent making all kinds of things to make your winch steal-proof. Like a giant bada$$ skid plate up front. A couple hundred bucks will get you a lot of metal, and of course a hidden battery disconnect! :D

20. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Secuity Bolt Locker

This 11 Gauge welded steel bolt locker secures up to a 9/16” diameter bolt, preventing access to the head with a wrench. The bolt lock is great for securing winches, racks, mounted tools, and other bolt on items.

The locker is secured with a double bitted 10 tumbler Tuffy lock with an exclusive cam latching design.

[​IMG][​IMG]