Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do ya get a u-joint out?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Jul 4, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

My ujoint that goes into the rear end is bad. How do you get it out after you take those 4 little bolts off. I've hit it with a hammer and it's still not off. Tomorrow I'm gonna have to get a replacement. Which joint do I need to get for a 14bolt FF rear end with a 208 transfer case? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

After the bolts, you take off the straps and push it forward, into the t-case and then pull it back to remove the driveshaft, but make sure the e-brake is on first and that the wheels are chocked.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that the parking brake is set, then put the tranny in neutral. This will take the tension off of the driveline. Sometimes I've found that inserting a small pry bar between the yoke and the u-joint helps persuade them to separate. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I third that about chocking the wheels!! I pried mine out forgetting to chock the wheels and watched the front tires roll toward my head.

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Get a dead blow hammer, or regular hammer covered in a HEAVY rag and try to tap it off the rear diff.
    After that pull the shaft from the t-case and put it on a good work bench. Get a flathead screwdriver and pop the C clips from the two cups in the driveline yoke, then get a socket about the same size as the cup (make sure its one you don't care about) and use it and a hammer to force the u-joint in one direction until the opposite cup is loose. Pull the cup out (you might need some pliers) turn over the driveline and do the same as to the otherside then pull the now cupless u-joint out.
    Replacement is the exact opposite, just be careful not to loose any needle bearings.
    If the cups will not come out you can heat up the yoke with a PROPANE torch so that it will open up and let the cups slide out easier, just be sure not to knock it out of alignment.