Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you adjust a brake pedal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 20, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

My brake lights are always on for some gawd unknown reason. the pedal is a bit loose. if i shake it violently, after a few times it justs "stuck" where the brake lites are not on constantly.

And tips are appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is a tab that holds the brake switch...just bend the tab a little until the brake lights stay off when your foot ain't on the brake. I had to do that to my truck a couple of weeks ago.

The hardest part is geting into a position to see what's what under the dash.

Rene

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

cool. thanks Rene /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On both my truck the threads on the switch were stripped. I found a small radiator clamp fixed the problem.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

any suggestions as to where to look for the pedal?

i can get my dash of with 2 screws and cutting a zip tie /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif so it's no problem to gut it

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just lay on the floor and follow the arm of the peddle up. the switch is on the bracket that hold the peddles on. WHen the peddle is released it pushes the button.
    Now if the lights are not coming on at all it's an electrical problem or the switch is bad. WIth your other problems I would bet electrical.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the switch needs to be pushed IN a couple of millimeters. When the plunger is depressed, the lights are off.

Of course, this is assuming the earlier brake switches are set up like later ones (80's) in that the switch "plunger" assembly is threaded...you just kind of wiggle it and push at the same time.