Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you adjust the idle speed on a Q-jet?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Sep 5, 2003.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I just got an edelbrock 1910 q-jet and it idles pretty high and I need to get it turned down, does anyone know how to do this?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There's a little screw on the driver side between the throttle bracket and the carb body. You'll see it easily it's right there. Just let the engine idle, crank it counter clockwise, engine will slow down, snap the throttle a few times and make sure it won't die. If you've got an auto, test to make sure it will go into drive easily and not die out.

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Well, I tried that and it looks like the throttle linkage doesnt want to move any lower when I back the screw off. I can hold it by hand and I can get the idle where I want it but it takes more force than I can get on it with a spring. Any other ideas, I was thinking trying to adjust the rod that links to the accelerator pump somehow.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Make sure that the throttle linkage is not keeping the idle up to high. It may not have enough slack to let the throttle go down when you adjust the idle screw, does that make any sense /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ?

5. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think thats what the problme is, the linkage isnt going back all the way to contact the screw, its staying slightly above it so it still idles high even though the screw is backed out

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

So does anyone know another way to lower the idle on a q-jet other than by the idle screw?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Fix the sticking choke linkage or vacuum leak.