Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you balance your 38inch + tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Loose Nut, May 31, 2006.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

Im thinking of buying 100lb's of B.B.s and balance them that way, but are there other ways?

the standard method wont work

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

100lbs:eek1: most people use like 10 oz per tire... and dont use steel bb, they will rust together and clump. Dense airsoft pellets or reall balancing bb are the best to get

4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

well my tires about 15oz or more out of balance, so i figure 2 cups per tire, and with what's left will make for a mean sling shot ammo :P

in regards to the clumping and rust, couldnt i just add a bit of oil?

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The airsoft pellets are the same price as BBs. I spent $30 and balanced all 5 of my 37s. Also I have enough in there to put in 42s when I upgrade:D . I put 1, 2000 round package of High Density pellets in each tire which works out to about 14 oz per tire.

Best of all no counting or weighing just dump em in and seat the bead:D .

Hope that helps

Ira

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i think im going to be gettin the 39.5 irok radials, since they are radials are they going to be easy to balance the normal way, or should i prepare to do the airsoft method?

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ditto - dynabeads

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I will always use beads from now on. As chunked up as my tires are and they still balance out and I mounted them myself you can't go wrong with beads. They are also recoverable when you change tires.

Ira

9. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't. Probably should but the 38.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws that I daily drive track straight and wear evenly so I don't touch them.

-Avery

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If it aint broke keep workin on it till it is:D .

Ira

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another huge DITTO on the ceramic beads from innovative balancing. If you think about it, they are the only logical choice. I am going to step up to a set 38" Bias Ply Super Swampers (when my 35" wear out), and I plan on putting about 20 oz. of ceramic beads in per tire to balance them.

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

X3 My SSR's don't have an ounce on any of them, and my only vibe is rear driveshaft related:D

I will prolly go with the airsoft method when i change to bias ply tires.

13. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You know I think I am one of the only ones around here that runs m/t baja claws because they wear so fast and are super expensive but it seems to be one area where you do get what you pay for.
    Now that being said I don't plan on keeping them, once they wear out I'm going tried and true w/ some tsl's but until then I'm very happy with these baja claws. Like I said 38.5" and no balancing at all, the truck tracks straight as an arrow at any speed, even on the highway.

-Avery

14. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

my truck tracks straight, i have no issue with it, its the bumpbumpubumpbumpbump i get from them being out of balance lol. the vibration is killer.

15. slicer4559

slicer4559 Registered Member

i have 38inch mickey thompson baja atz's and i had them spun balanced at a good tire shop, and they work just great. almost all the shops that i've talked to, tell me that unless your drivin an 18 wheeler, you dont need the bb's, pellets, or etc. to each their own i guess.

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you play on rocks you will deffinately see why it is needed.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont Need them but if I loose a lug on the trail with pellets the tire will still be balanced. Also I run rock and wheel weights and rocks dont mix well:D . Like you said to each his own.

Ira

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run regular old BB's in the tires of my daily driver with no issue, and I plan to install them in the tires of my off-road rig as soon as I mount the 39.5 Iroks (been too lazy to put them in the current 38" TSLs). Several others in our club run regular BB's and have had no issues, including one guy who drove his truck with 42" Swampers on 15" rims to and from the trail on the highway up to 5 hours each way.

I've looked at the BB's in my daily driver tires a while back and there was absolutely no sign of rust on them. I would think it would take quite awhile, and the vehicle would have to sit in one place the whole time, before metal BB's would actually start rusting and clump together (most of the ones I have seen are "coated" with something). Personally I've never seen anybody have this issue and I think it's just theoretical. Maybe somebody should put a handful of BB's in a paper cup and sit them outside and see how long it takes for them to rust up.

Keep in mind that if it calls for 15 oz. of rim weights on a normal tire machine you don't need near that much weight in BB's or equivalent. The rim weights are trying to make up for all of the leverage and distance between the rim they are attached to and the tread surface......which is a long way on something like a 39" tires with 15" rims. BB's on the other hand are at a more ideal location and do not have to compensate for that difference.

19. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Someone help me out with the BB method. Do the bb's naturally end up on the spot of the tire that is causing it to be out of balance? Would this method help on some chunked 33" tsl's? No thread hijacking intended :thumb:

20. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Yeah, How do you do it? How does it work?