Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you break in *FRONT* gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 13, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Ok, I need to do the 500 mile break in for my new gears. Do you have to break in the fronts? I would have to do 500 miles on dry pavement in 4HI with drive flanges for 20 minute intervals letting the diff cool between trips, for some reason that dosent sound like fun.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

coudlnt you just lock your front hubs and drive that like? Or does that not turn your diff gears

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Lockin' the hubs turns the gears and driveshaft, they just won't be under load...maybe you could drive on a gravel/fire road with the t-case engaged to help break 'em in?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just think about it this way. All trucks with 4wd come from the factory brand new don't they? Does anyone bother to break in the front when we get them? I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just my opinion.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree, I have put 2 new gear sets in my front, one 3.73 and one 4.10 and didn't break them in at all. Both worked great with no problems. I know this is probably not the proper way to do it, but I wasn't going to drive around all day in 4WD.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Another thought: Maybe it doesn't matter if the gears are broken in, since they won't see more than 10-15 mph...hmmm

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

not sure if it's the proper way, but this is what i did. i just locked in my hubs and drove back and forth from work for about two weeks. after that i changed the gear lube and called it done.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think the rears are the ones to worry about as they have power 100% of thier lives and only 10-15% of the fronts lives. Or that is if you are not a trailered rig.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

They dont have to have power to them to break them in. If you have driveflanges the front will rotate 100% of the time and if you drive it in 20 minute increments and let it cool in between... After 500 miles it should be considered broke in.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Pull the rear shaft and drive it over to see my pile of parts in front wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still haven't had time to mess w/the bender /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have been wondering where you were.... IF I get that sucker going this weekend Ill stop by!

12. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not sure if it's the proper way, but this is what i did. i just locked in my hubs and drove back and forth from work for about two weeks. after that i changed the gear lube and called it done.

[/ QUOTE ]

one would think that this would make sense, but infact it does nothing to break in the drive side of the gears. if you apply power to the pinion gear, you are applying power to the drive side of the teeth. if you apply power to the ring gear (I.E. locking the hubs and driving around in 2wd) you are going to be putting the wear on the coast side of the gears. did that make any sense? it's kinda hard to follow unles you have a diff to look at.

-Scott