Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you calibrate a TPS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tenderfoot1877, Jan 7, 2006.

1. tenderfoot1877

tenderfoot1877 Registered Member

I just changed the fuel pump and TPS and the truck is running a hell of a lot better, but when i take off and when im at top gear, it periodicaly sputters as if it has air in the gas line. I've already changed the EGR, TPS, plugs, rotor, cap, fuel filter, and fuel pump, also, i've gutted my Cad. Converter. When I hit the throtle, it runs just great, what the hell is the deal?

Someone told me that my TPS needed to be calibrated or that I need new plug wires. I dont think the plug wires would do that but what do I know. Please help. :smirk:

2. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I don't think that you can calibrate the TPS. I recently replaced my TBI with one from Turbo City and decided that I would also replace the TPS sensor with a NAPA aftermarket one. five months later my check eng. light came one with code 22. Guess what, the aftermasrket TPS went bad. Replaced it with the old OEM and she runs like champ. I guess what I'm tryen to say is that aftermarked sensors suck, stick w/true OEM's.

3. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

the TPS can not be calibrated

its a strait forward replacemewnt i dont think you can calibrate it
    and i think the spudder that you say is occational would be the slug wires or the distributor pickup coil but thats far fetched.

LUKE

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can someone clarify the TBI TPS for us? I know the TPI TPS for at least some years (my '87/88 stuff for instance) is adjustable, but I keep hearing about some that aren't.

Maybe it's an aftermarket vs. OEM thing as well, aftermarket getting cheap and making one size fits all TPS'?