Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do you carpet a box?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bad_bo_ti, Jul 6, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

its a 14x14x12 box. just curious as to a good way to carpet it. thanks, chris

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've never done it, but i would suspect 3M spray adhesive or contact cement would work well.. we use contact to do carpet headliners and such in the boats... maybe a little monel stapling if need be.. whatch the lighter carpets tho, the glue can seep thru if ya go heavy... maybe someone with experience will chime in....

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wood glue

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

alright what about seams how do i hide them?

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

put them on the bottom, or depending how thick the carpet is, scuff the 2 edges together so it looks like one piece.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    its a 14x14x12 box. just curious as to a good way to carpet it. thanks, chris

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're using standard subwoofer box carpeting, 3M "Super77" or "Super90" adhesive will work well. I generally cut the carpet into the rough size I need, then spray the box and carpet (one coat each) with the adhesive and let it dry slightly. Once you press them together they won't want to come apart, so position it carefully.

A single-edge razor can be used to trim off excess carpet on the outer corners and with a sharp blade and some practice you should be able to create tight carpet joints that are barely visible.

Also, Brake parts cleaner is a pretty good solvent for removing excess adhesive or overspray. Just shoot a little onto a clean rag and use it to gently wipe off the excesses.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif