Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you chang U-joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

My u-joint that hooks to the yoke on the front axle is moving up and down a little. How do you change this. I know you take out the drive shaft and remove the clips but how do you driveout the old joint? I don't have a vise either, just incase that is needed.

2. northgate

northgate Registered Member

I would recommend removing the driveline and taking it to a machine shop or repair shop and having this done for you. There's a knack for doing this, and it's real easy to ruin a new joint, or the yoke, if your not experienced in doing it. If your'e trying to learn how to do it, just ask the mechanic or machinist if you can watch. Most good techs can use only a vise, hammer, and maybe needle nose pliers to do the job, and won't mind showing you how to do it if theyre not too busy. Plus, if they let you watch, they might not charge that much or anything, because it really only takes a few minutes.

3. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

With my luck I'd probably ruin the new one like you said. I think maybe I'll take my shaft in for a rebuild. I just noticed that it also move up and down on the slip yoke like some of the teeth could be worn.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hey, mine is really tight: it barely goes together. Maybe we could trade some parts and then both have a good setup! [​IMG] j/k!

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]

5. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I put new U-joints on my rear shaft a couple months ago. It wasn't that hard to do but I didnt get the pin in there good enough. Anyway I was on my way from the mountains and there was a bunch of loud bangs, I mean loud, and my truck wouldn't accelerate. So I pulled over, and my U-joint busted and dropped the shaft. The bang was the shaft hitting the bottom of the truck. It hit my exhaust and crimped it about half way through. Anyways if you put them in yourself make sure they're in there really good!!

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

step one,,,
    put shaft in vise really tight
    step two,,,
    try to light torch and manage to somehow singe your nose hair...
    step three,,,
    get torch lit finally and heat up u-joint to melt the teflon inside(only if original)
    step four,,,
    u-joint hot,,now gently hit with hammer and socket
    step five,,,
    run around garage looking for water to put your hand that is now covered in red hot grease into shrieking sounds that you didn't even know your body could make!!!!
    step six,,,
    pissed off now,,,,,grab five pounder and socket and attempt to wail away on u-joint while wearing gloves and face shield!!!!
    step seven,,,
    explain to friend who comes in after hearing you crying in corner that it's not funny and will he please loook at your fingers to see if they are broken
    step eight,,,
    after hitting friend with broken hand after he grabbed hand,,put hand in beer cooler full of ice
    step nine,,,
    tape socket to u-joint and wail it with 10lbs. sledge
    step ten,,,
    go to local driveshaft shop and have them make you a new $300.00 shaft because you missed with sledge and bent the yoke into a shape it was never meant to be in!!!!

if you do it yourself make sure you practice on a few old shafts first

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. mudd_rat

mudd_rat Registered Member

i do all my u-joints with the shaft still in the truck. i use a concrete block and a big pieace of wood to get the shaft almost horizontal. use a socket a little smaller than the cap and a hammer. but first you need to remove either the inside or out side retainers. place the socket on the cap and give it a couple of wackes ( i use a ballpean hammer for mine). use vice grips to pull the old cap out. then hid the end of the old u-joint. to get the other cap out enough so you can grab it with vise grips. then remove u-joint. install is reverse only dont hit the u-joint make sure there is a cap on it.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

k5king-

That has to be the funniest thing I've read in weeks!!!!!!! Thanks for making my day, eh.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

9. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

check out this product on found on another web sitehttp://www.tigertool.com. Good luck

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

10. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

k5king,

That is exactly what happens when I try to fix things. That was hilarious.