Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you change the lock cylinder in a steering column?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 13, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I want to swap my automatic non-tilt steering column out for a manual tilt version in my trail truck but dont know how to change the lock cylinder. I would just use the one in the new column but I dont have the keys for it. How long should it take?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Shouldn't take all that long, but you'll want the lock plate compressor tool (about $10, and worth every penny) to make it go quicker.

Pop off the wheel, the lockplate, and I'm pretty sure you need to unscrew the turn signal switch assembly (but not remove) to get it out of the way. Then remove the single phillips screw that you see with wide head that looks like it goes through the "top" of the lock cylinder. Once you do that, it will pull out.

If you can see the wide headed screw through the turn signal switch, you may not need to even mess with the turn signal switch. I just can't recall since it's been like 4 years since I've had to mess with a column, thankfully.

I believe earlier was slightly different process than that, (depressing a tang on the cylinder or something?) but if both of your columns are the same vintage, that should be all it takes to pull one.

3. afroman006

Is the lock plate compressor tool the steering wheel remover thing? I have one of those but I've never used it lol. Glad someone else is up tonight. The column I am swapping in came out of an 89 and the truck its going in is an 84 so it should work out ok.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, different animal.

Lock plate is under the steering wheel, once you get the wheel off you will see the lock plate...black metal piece that has u-shaped cutouts all the way around, it's what locks the steering wheel in place when you remove the key.

It's somewhat easy to remove the lock plate without the tool, but re-installing it is a pain. Even removing, it is kind of hard to get the snap ring out without bending the ring all up, so I'd say get the tool. Not many tools cost $10 and save you as much hassle as that one.

Up tonight? Hah, it's 11am!

5. afroman006

Mmk I guess I'll go get one. Hopefully napa rents them.