Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOw do you check if the numbers match?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Nov 16, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

This is one thing I have no idea about.

My buddys looking at a 69 chevelle SS. The owner says the numbers match, how do you tell? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are VIN numbers on everything, or close to everything.

Start with the engine, it's on the front of the deck surface on the passenger side IIRC. The last six digits of the VIN should be there.

GM can run the VIN and tell you all the options the car is supposed to have as well. I've heard stories of people buying factory AC cars with non-AC heater boxes and the whole nine yards....so make sure you check EVERYTHING.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep the partial vins should match between the car and the build code on the block..

theres a date code stamped into the rear passanger side of the engine block.
    there are date codes stamped into the heads if you remove the valve covers you can see them..
    these casting dates should be within a month or two of each other if the heads and engine are correct and matching.

The numbers stamped into the deck on the front of the passanger side of the block is the build code and the build date. The build date should be a few months after the casting dates. if you can't find any numbers its possible the engine has rebuilt and block has been decked.

FWIW, My boss is restoring a '62 and a '63 corvette.. These cars were picked up with non original engines in them..
    Now on ebay he finds a '63 block and heads... then sends it to a guy in LA to have him deck the block a little bit so the grooves or the grain is going front to back and then he stamps in whatever numbers you need to make it "numbers matching".. so my boss is finding the heads, block, crank, carbs, intake.. all of the same year..
    when he's done the corvette will sell for several thousands of dollars more than he picked it up for..
    So really, hes 'cheating' and even though all the numbers will match and it will appear good to all the restoration people at car shows... its not the original stuff for that car. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks guys. I wasnt sure how many numbers in the VIN were supposed to match, Ill et him know. Appreciate it!

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Also look on the gas tank top , under the backseat , almost anywhere sometimes , for the buildsheet . These are important to collector types as well . And if the Gods of GM are looking over you , you may even score the "protecto-plate" , which is in the glovebox with the owners stuff . The cowl tag will tell you a lot also /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Oh and on really old Chevy's as far as numbers matching go , if the engine was replaced under warranty during its lifetime , the engine will have "CE" stamped on the pad on the block . This is considered numbers matching to most since its the original warranty replacement /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a spec sheet that "decodes"all the numbers and letters on the "build tag" on the cowl,where the body and paint codes are listed--tells how many were produced,whether it was a 6 or V8,4 speed,or automatic,2 dr,or 4dr,SS,etc--if you can get the numbers or a photo of the plate I can look it up for you.I looked up the 72 Chevelle wagon I had in there--says they only made 32,000 that year,and less than 300 with the "Nomad"package,and a 6 banger poweglide--and my friend bought it in florida,and put it on a 69 suburban chassis(4x4)--I put a 454 and a TH350 2wd tranny and divorced rockwell transfer case in it.Looking back--I'm not sure that was such a smart move,but it was a cool rig and turned lots of heads--. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

There are even books that tell you if you have the right distributor, alternator, carb, etc, etc.....
    Is it true that on the block and heads the last numbers are supposed to match the production sequence on the vin and that these numbers must be within 3 digits of the vin production sequence in order to be a "true" numbers match?.