Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do you check out a Fuel Gauge?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pops83k5, Jun 16, 2002.

1. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

Anyone ever checked out a fule gauge? I have an 83 k5 that never reads more then a 1/4 tank and I've recently replaced both the sending unit and the tank. Must be the gauge or the pc board as the lead wire and ground to unit look ok. thought I'd check the gauge out with a VOM if anyone knows what sort of resistance it should read. Also, has anyone used Year One's gauge rebuild service? Not sure if I want to try that or buy a new gauge, but LMC just told me that had no gauges in stock and were looking for new supplier.

pops83k5

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

there was just a post on this. i think it should have a resistance of 90ohms resistance for a full tank....i think. mayb some1 can correct me.

NITRO

3. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

I agree with NITRO on the 90 ohms resistance for the fuel tank sending unit.
    I think you can test if your gauge is bad by removing the wire from the sending unit and grounding it for an instant with the ignition ON.
    A good gauge will go to the top of the scale.
    If you need a fuel gauge I've gotta a couple for sale $10 ea.+ shipping; I'll see if I've gotta fuel gauge for ya.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, there is a spec on the resistance somewhere. It increases as your tank empties. You should check out the little clips that attach the fuel gauge to the plastic membrane on the back of the cluster. If they are loose/dirty, that can give erroneous readings. If you need a stock gauge, I have an extra one you can have. It is just the guts, not the face, but it's easy to swap the face and needle onto another motor. I don't know how well it works. It should be very easy to get a new gauge in a junkyard, too. Some probably have clusters on the shelf. They may ask you to buy a whole cluster, but I got one once for $25 and the extra parts have come in handy since then. If nothing else, it gives you lots of replacement bulbs. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif